Hardware Is this a good budget gaming pc?

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello Tempers!
I'm about to get a new pc, more specifically, a gaming one.
So i am a little low on money, so i keep the budget low.
I came accros gamepc.nl, it's a site that you can trust, i bought a laptop from there a few years ago.
So i came across a pc for 349 Euro, and these are the specs:

• AMD Llano A4-5300 3,4GHz DualCore
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 500 GB Satall HDD
  • AMD Radeon HD7480D 1GB
Is this a good pc for the avarage game?
Like, will it lag in Assassins's creed III in a big city with everything turned to medium/low?
Also, is this PC recommended for future games?
Thank's in advance!

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a low end APU. I had the A8-3870k and it struggled with some games at 720p. I love APUs, but I wouldn't put too much faith into that thing. Why not build your own? We can help, and I'm sure some members can even sell you some components for cheap. It's surprisingly easy and much cheaper than buying new.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the words "low budget" and gaming PC really don't go together. Honestly looking at the benchmark for that gpu I doubt it could even play assassins creed 3 on low, much less medium.

edit: Actually I can confirm it won't work on assassins creed 3, according to the benchmarking tests run using it anyway.

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's a low end APU. I had the A8-3870k and it struggled with some games at 720p. I love APUs, but I wouldn't put too much faith into that thing. Why not build your own? We can help, and I'm sure some members can even sell you some components for cheap. It's surprisingly easy and much cheaper than buying new.

Thank's for the tip!
Maybe i will think about building my own PC, my nephew work's at a computer company, they have all kind's of computer parts laying around, so maybe i can ask him if i can take a look and take some things from there.
If i'm gonna build it, i'm gonna look for a good tutorial, is there one here on GBATemp?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
One way is to look for an "exploded computer system" diagram. It'll basically show you how the motherboard fits inside the case, the CPU to the motherboard, the cooler over the CPU, the RAM and graphics card onto the motherboard, the power supply and drives into the case, and all that's left is where all the wires go.

It's not nearly as hard as I made it sound.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello Tempers!
I'm about to get a new pc, more specifically, a gaming one.
So i am a little low on money, so i keep the budget low.
I came accros gamepc.nl, it's a site that you can trust, i bought a laptop from there a few years ago.
So i came across a pc for 349 Euro, and these are the specs:

• AMD Llano A4-5300 3,4GHz DualCore
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 500 GB Satall HDD
  • AMD Radeon HD7480D 1GB
Is this a good pc for the avarage game?
Like, will it lag in Assassins's creed III in a big city with everything turned to medium/low?
Also, is this PC recommended for future games?
Thank's in advance!
No. Avoid AMD CPUs at all costs. They are so slow they will bottleneck you long before the GPU and limit your performance in games. I had an A10 APU and it was even worse than I could have imagined.
The #1 rule when getting a new PC is to avoid AMD CPUs, everyone will tell you this. For budget PCs go with an Intel Core i3 CPU.

I honestly doubt you can find a good budget gaming PC for €349 (or anywhere near), that'll get you a good budget PC for web browsing and email and such but no more.
I'm afraid you'll have to increase your budget a little or save up. ;)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
AMD dominate the budget market for a reason. The CPU aspect is weaker than Intel, but the integrated graphics is leagues better than Intel HD graphics. That's why AMD APUs are synonymous with "budget gaming" builds - games depend on graphics more than processors.

But the moment you can afford a dedicated graphics card... Intel become better in 90% of cases.

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No. Avoid AMD CPUs at all costs. They are so slow they will bottleneck you long before the GPU and limit your performance in games. I had an A10 APU and it was even worse than I could have imagined.
The #1 rule when getting a new PC is to avoid AMD CPUs, everyone will tell you this. For budget PCs go with an Intel Core i3 CPU.

I honestly doubt you can find a good budget gaming PC for €349 (or anywhere near), that'll get you a good budget PC for web browsing and email and such but no more.
I'm afraid you'll have to increase your budget a little or save up. ;)

Hey, thank's for all your answers :)
Yeah, i don't i'll be building my own pc, i think i'm just going to save like you said.
Thank's for your answers!

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You don't need to save a lot.
if you want to build it now just change the setup a little bit

switch to Celeron/Pentium (G1610/G2010/G2020)
use the cheapest Motherboard you can get (which also support Ivy Bridge processor, since those G series are Ivy based)

and you good to go, save up a little bit more to get HD 7770/7750 if you feel like you need it

I am using Celeron atm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116889

TBH, I was surprised with the performance, it was supposed to be a NAS when I build it
but end up as main gaming PC, my best decision for 2013.

it draws much less power compared AMD can offer, cheaper, AND perform much BETTER.
it has Intel HD built in, again... I was impressed with it, yes it maybe perform less better but from what I read, it just perform around 10-15% less, which in bigger scene this differences isn't relevant, because both is wasn't designed to play AAA titles.

Both can't handle game such Tomb Raider/Sleeping dogs even at 30fps (with integrated GPU)
you need dedicated GPU for that, and that's when Intel offer are better in this scene, that CPU is still capable to handle it when games need more power from CPU.

at some point, even performance is similar (or just a bit lower) when you compare it with i3 or Athlon X4
unless you push it more (using more high resolution, more AA, etc) this is the time when you need more CPU power, so GPU can process it (known as avoid bottleneck)

although I don't have A4 on desktop (I want to build one but instead I took Celeron), but I've test it on laptop, both capable to run Torchlight II & Dota 2 (and many Online games) at playable FPS (40max, sometimes when battle is intensive it goes down to 20fps).

My point is, APU can't be solution for heavy gaming, specially if you need something to push it later to make better gaming experience (in other word, better GPU)
because why would you pick APU if you going to add GPU? it kills what it purposed in the first place, and yes unfortunately CPU power isn't really that great either

AMD technology hasn't really changed since they release Athlon AM2, A4 series perform just like Athlon 5000+ with HD4350, but with less power consumed, how much less? not that much either really.
oh yeah, I do still have Athlon 4050e + HD4350, if I compare it head to head with A4-4000, it perform quite similar (also A4-4000 only perform 5-10% less than A4-5300 and cheaper)

Just look up for review, I've ask this question few months ago, and I got the answer (and solution).
that's when I realize why people been talking about AMD badly even with their APU releases, it's unfortunate but no one can change the fact that what Intel do and offer is far more superior even in low-end market, the only thing I hate is they change their socket too often.

Reactions: Boy12

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Depending on the game, the difference can be as much as 50% difference against Intel HD 4000 graphics. Its not just about raw processing power (Intel is quickly catching up here), its also the drivers and optimisations in the game to support Intel graphics.

Anyway, the best advice is the one already offered (and taken) - save up a little more (I think €450 would be enough) for more flexibility in picking a good entry-level gaming PC.

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to save a lot.
if you want to build it now just change the setup a little bit

switch to Celeron/Pentium (G1610/G2010/G2020)
use the cheapest Motherboard you can get (which also support Ivy Bridge processor, since those G series are Ivy based)

and you good to go, save up a little bit more to get HD 7770/7750 if you feel like you need it

I am using Celeron atm

My point is, APU can't be solution for heavy gaming, specially if you need something to push it later to make better gaming experience (in other word, better GPU)
because why would you pick APU if you going to add GPU? it kills what it purposed in the first place, and yes unfortunately CPU power isn't really that great either

If you get a certain motherboard for the APU, there is the option of dual grap hics support, using both the discrete GPU and GPU from the APU.

But to OP, this is what I am going to build when I have the money. The HD 7770 used to be only 70$ with mail-in-rebates though.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RobotiChris/saved/2lCi

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can get a perfectly fine gaming PC that will run most of the latest titles at medium quality at 720P comfortable for around the £350 in the UK (400 euros probably)

Quick look in the UK at Ebuyer gives this:

This is assuming you have access to Keyboard, Mouse and monitor seperately. If you need these too, then they guys above are correct, you will struggle for 350. For this system below is more than capable of playing decent games at decent framerates with a fair bit of eye candy turned on. 720P max though perhaps.

Qty Description QuickFind Stock Price Total
Casecom CB-161 Black Mid ATX Tower Case 489691 64 in stock £8.00 £8.00
Coolermaster Elite Power 500W PSU 253900 268 in stock £28.18 £28.18
warning_icon.gif
2gb Ddr3 1600 Mt/s Pc3-12800 - Cl11 Unbuffered Udimm 240pin 500823 102 in stock £16.16 £32.31

Seagate 1TB Barracuda 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache 319639 > 25 in stock £46.98 £46.98
LiteOn iHAS120 20X Internal DVD Writer with SATA - OEM 410561 32 in stock £11.96 £11.96
warning_icon.gif
Sapphire HD 7790 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card 491562 28 in stock £98.78 £98.78

(free accessory) Never Settle Forever Bronze for 7770 and 7790 Coupon 544924 280 in stock £0.00 £0.00
Asrock H61M-DGS Socket 1155 VGA DVI 5.1 Channel Audio m-ATX Motherboard 429725 45 in stock £35.58 £35.58
warning_icon.gif
Intel Core i3 3240 3.40GHz Socket 1155 3MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor 393558 27 in stock £93.80 £93.80

Save as List
Cart total inc vat: £355.59

Cart Weight: 7.93Kg (with shipping offer)

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Avoid AMD CPUs at all costs.

I hope no one out there takes this asinine statement to heart. It's just blatant fanboyism. Depending on what you do, an FX-8350 (which is AMD) would be a better choice than an i5 or i7.

But building a PC is really easy honestly. Things only go together one way, so if you're smart enough to navigate this forum you're smart enough to build a PC. Doing research and picking parts is the hardest part, and we're here to help with that. Give us a budget and tell us if you have any extra components lying around, like a monitor, a mouse, etc, and I'm sure more than a few members will chime in with a build they think will serve you well.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can get a perfectly fine gaming PC that will run most of the latest titles at medium quality at 720P comfortable for around the £350 in the UK (400 euros probably)

Quick look in the UK at Ebuyer gives this:

This is assuming you have access to Keyboard, Mouse and monitor seperately. If you need these too, then they guys above are correct, you will struggle for 350. For this system below is more than capable of playing decent games at decent framerates with a fair bit of eye candy turned on. 720P max though perhaps.

Qty Description QuickFind Stock Price Total
Casecom CB-161 Black Mid ATX Tower Case 489691 64 in stock £8.00 £8.00
Coolermaster Elite Power 500W PSU 253900 268 in stock £28.18 £28.18
warning_icon.gif
2gb Ddr3 1600 Mt/s Pc3-12800 - Cl11 Unbuffered Udimm 240pin 500823 102 in stock £16.16 £32.31

Seagate 1TB Barracuda 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache 319639 > 25 in stock £46.98 £46.98
LiteOn iHAS120 20X Internal DVD Writer with SATA - OEM 410561 32 in stock £11.96 £11.96
warning_icon.gif
Sapphire HD 7790 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card 491562 28 in stock £98.78 £98.78

(free accessory) Never Settle Forever Bronze for 7770 and 7790 Coupon 544924 280 in stock £0.00 £0.00
Asrock H61M-DGS Socket 1155 VGA DVI 5.1 Channel Audio m-ATX Motherboard 429725 45 in stock £35.58 £35.58
warning_icon.gif
Intel Core i3 3240 3.40GHz Socket 1155 3MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor 393558 27 in stock £93.80 £93.80

Save as List
Cart total inc vat: £355.59

Cart Weight: 7.93Kg (with shipping offer)
Looks like I was proved wrong, that is a nice build for such a price. He should at least double the RAM though. 2 GB is really little these days, if you run a few programs in the background like a web browser and want to play a game, you'll run out.

I hope no one out there takes this asinine statement to heart. It's just blatant fanboyism. Depending on what you do, an FX-8350 (which is AMD) would be a better choice than an i5 or i7.

But building a PC is really easy honestly. Things only go together one way, so if you're smart enough to navigate this forum you're smart enough to build a PC. Doing research and picking parts is the hardest part, and we're here to help with that. Give us a budget and tell us if you have any extra components lying around, like a monitor, a mouse, etc, and I'm sure more than a few members will chime in with a build they think will serve you well.
Maybe there are exceptions but this certainly applies for the APU's, and probably a lot of their other CPUs too.
I am speaking based on my personal experience which has all been bad (having owned several generations of AMD CPUs each spaced several years apart, one of them being an APU) but I have heard other people mention the same thing frequently.

But I agree PC building is easy. It helps to get some useful pointers though as there are a lot of things that have to be plugged in, and if you forget any of them certain things won't function. You also need to know to get updated drivers and not use the crap that comes on the install CD, wattage requirements, motherboard form factor vs case, hardware compatibility, and so on. There's a lot of little things that could go wrong and as a new pc builder you won't know how to fix it.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like I was proved wrong, that is a nice build for such a price. He should at least double the RAM though. 2 GB is really little these days, if you run a few programs in the background like a web browser and want to play a game, you'll run out.

Maybe there are exceptions but this certainly applies for the APU's, and probably a lot of their other CPUs too.

That was actually for 4GB. If you look at the price on the end, youll see its for a quantity of 2 x 2GB;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night