Is there such a thing as a dsi external battery charger?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by jdogg, Apr 19, 2019.

1. jdogg
    OP

jdogg Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2010
    United States
    I recently bought a used DSi XL, but it won't charge. Instead of trying to go in and fix/replace the port, I thought that maybe I could just get a separate charger. I've been looking but can't find anything. Any ideas?

2. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    You can buy a broken dsi xl. Sure the screens may be broke, but you can change and charge the battery. You’ll even get a second battery out of it. If you are feeling brave, you can then mix and match the buttons. You can even swap the motherboard later. The dsixl is pretty easy to work in (hardmod excluded).

Last edited by slaphappygamer, Apr 19, 2019
  3. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    I doubt there's such a thing. Isn't it a pain to swap the batteries anyway?
    Fixing the port is basically impossible since its soldered to the board.

You could buy a broken DSi like slaphappygamer suggests and charge the battery in it.
    Alternatively you could swap out the board (assuming the board is not damaged).

4. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp verrückt

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
  5. jdogg
    OP

jdogg Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2010
    United States
    While that induction charger seems like a good idea it isn't available in the US.

6. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp verrückt

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
  7. DPyro

DPyro GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2008
    Canada
    I just got a used DSI and one of the pins broke off so I'm waiting to receive a replacement port so I can solder it on. In the meantime I'm using a balance charger and setting it to Li-Ion 1 cell 3.6v and charging it that way.

Ryccardo likes this.
  8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    There is no black magic in charging a 1-cell battery, just supply it the right voltage at a reasonable current limit (the "C" factor you may have heard of - 1/10 C meaning one tenth the mA of the battery's mAh rating being a sane default), it can be done with the generic 4-knob "bench power supplies"

Bonus points if you provide a thermal cutoff in case you got something wrong (or the battery fails at just the wrong time), but it's not a required thing (and I'm not sure if the DSi implements it anyway, the SP/DS/Lite don't)

Last edited by Ryccardo, Apr 25, 2019