Hacking Is there still a problem with shutting down from the HOS? (battery drain with AutoRCM)

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So in the early days if you had AutoRCM and held the power button then chose Shut Down it would look like the Switch was off, but it would actually be in AutoRCM and would drain battery. So the way you would actually shut down is Hold Power -> Reboot, and hold + or - vol button, then choose Shutdown from within SXOS/Hekate

Is this still a problem with latest Atmosphere/Hekate? Just curious if we ever solved the problem and can now shut down normally from HOS, or if we still gotta go to Hekate to shut down fully?

Thanks.

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your Switch has autoRCM, and you do not send a payload, it will just show a black screen when it boots. This black screen is indistinguishable from the Switch just being off. The system will not charge while on this black screen. When you plug in the system to charge it, the system tries to power on. However, since you're not injecting a payload, it just stays on the black screen. Since it can't charge on the black screen, the system does not get charged. The way to fix this is to plug in the system, hold down the power button for a good 10 seconds to turn it off (since it's on the black screen), and wait five minutes for it to charge. Then unplug it from the charger and turn the system on while injecting the payload. Once you have the system actually booted, you can put it back on the charger to let the battery charge the rest of the way.
If it doesn't work the first time, don't panic. You probably just turned the system ON whenever you held the power button instead of OFF. It's impossible to tell whether the system is on or off without injecting the payload. If it won't boot with the payload injected, it means the battery is still dead and to try charging it again. And if you're using something like an SX Pro dongle, make sure the dongle is charged as well (takes less than five seconds to charge it).

Reactions: MORSHU8KRTXON

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was fixed some years ago and till this day I got to say it’s my favorite feature that atmosphere has. From time to time I actually want to turn off my switch.

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Ok, so it sounds like for my use case, the issue is not fixed.

My use case would be to shut down from HOS, then put it on the dock to charge. But sounds like that will wake it up and wont charge it. So Ill end up with drained battery.

Is this correct?

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France

My use case would be to shut down from HOS, then put it on the dock to charge. But sounds like that will wake it up and wont charge it. So Ill end up with drained battery.

Is this correct?
Well, it’s not a “question of being fixed “.
It’s the way AutoRcm works. Once shutdown (from Hos under CFW or OFW), the switch will wake up on RCM mode as soon as you plug an alimented device on the USB port (dock or plugged charger for example).

So, in your “case”, put the switch on the dock before shutting down or plug the wall charger before shutting down.

But I don’t really see the “point” in shutting down and leaving charging.

Either your are on sleep mode and then okay, because you could forget the switch is on sleep mode and let it drain in about 10 days (starting from a 100% level and roughly what I measured on my switch) I would say ,but if you shutdown the switch, battery last for months literally.

Last edited by Maupiti,

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
BTW, that’s what I always check when shutting down my switch on AutoRcm. I connect my dongle after the shutting down, and if “nothing launches”, then all is good 😌

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AutoRcm is not a feature from Atmosphere.
I know that, I was saying it’s nice for the switch to be to turn off, that’s the feature I’m talking about, so it doesn’t reopen. I have autorcm enabled and I don’t have any battery drain issues because of that atmosphere feature.

Reactions: Maupiti

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Is this correct?
From my understanding, the Switch can only charge when it's powered on (sleep mode included). So it's useless to turn it off if you want to charge it. It will just turn on as soon as it gets power. So charge it first, and when you're satisfied with the charge level, turn it off.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
From my understanding, the Switch can only charge when it's powered on (sleep mode included). So it's useless to turn it off if you want to charge it. It will just turn on as soon as it gets power. So charge it first, and when you're satisfied with the charge level, turn it off.
If you connect the Switch with either a charger or docked before shutting down, if think the battery still charging ( a sort of a “charging state” without being running Hos or in sleep mode).

But again I see no point in shutting down if you leave charging 🤔

Reactions: bazamuffin

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is this correct?
Yes so either charge it before turning it off or turn it off while it is charging.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse