Is there slowdown?

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by pirate_arrh, Jul 19, 2006.

Jul 19, 2006

Is there slowdown? by pirate_arrh at 8:38 AM (1,660 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. pirate_arrh
    OP

Newcomer pirate_arrh Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    New Zealand
    Is there slow down on DS games, using the EZ4 lite?

There seems to be confusion about this issue on the boards.

I would love an EZ4, but slow down is unacceptable to me.

Thanks for your comments

2. Tir

Member Tir GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    All I've seen is the Castlevania intro playing on one and it was a choppy mess. I definitely won't be getting one.

3. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Tony Hawks slows down too.

Also in a few games there is a stutter audio/video problem when loading between levels that does'nt exist on my SC.

Loading times between levels and start up also is noticably longer.

4. Heinrisch

Member Heinrisch GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Sweden
    I have not noticed any slowdows... yet

5. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Are there any flash carts that play the Castlevania intro properly? My SuperCard certainly doesn't.

6. Tir

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    G6 Lite. [​IMG]

With the right miniSD card M3 and SC are fine too. There's list of SD cards on the M3 wiki showing which ones play it fine. Problem with EZ4L is microSD is technically a faster media than miniSD which makes me think EZ4L's just a rushed product.

7. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    Uganda
    Intro movie skips, woopty doo. Who watches those anyway? I have a mini SD EZ4 and nothing slows down at all. I've played Tony Hawk (crappy game) and it's fine. People who complain about slow downs may have knock off memory sticks, or just bad luck.

Someone did a speed test on the mini/micro SD and found the difference to be negligable. I wouldn't worry to be honest, you're getting every DS game for free. It's like those people who complain about movie cam quality... it's free.

8. Tir

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    You wouldn't have slowdown in games with the mini SD version, but benchmarks show micro SD is even faster yet in a EZ4L it performs worse (longer loads etc) regardless of card brand. Slowdown aside the crappy build quality where users have to file down plastic to get the card out is a good enough reason to stay away.

edit: And just because you get the games for free doesn't mean you can't want a good quality flash cart that plays games like they were legit. EZ4L is the movie cam of the flash cart world (first released, dodgy quality) and G6L/M3L etc will be the dvd rip. [​IMG]

9. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    I have the miniSD version and my Transcend 80x is legit, well it performs at the correct read and write speed when I tested it, and Tony Hawks certainly slows down when the music track changes, you would have to be blind not to see it.

Also the stuttery video/audio when loading in certain games is nothing to do with the speed of the memory card, it's a transfer issue. The same memory card when used in my SC MiniSD version also slows down in Tony Hawks when the music track changes but not as noticably. The stutter issue with certain games doesn't exist either when used in the SC. I'm not saying it's a terrible problem but the original poster asked.

Stay away is my advice, but mainly because of the poor EZ support and there inabilty to keep up with SC and M3 when it comes to releasing updates that actually fix non-working games. For example the Ez team have never manged to get pokemon dash working in the year or so they have tried with any of their cards (crap game I know, but that's not the point).

edit.. the legendary build quality that Ez is famous for is certainly lacking with the Lite version as the previous poster suggests, also the number of buyers posting with the 'First in or low battery' error is quite frankly becoming rediculous.

10. Redux

Newcomer Redux Member

Featured Posts:
    Antarctica
    Have a look at the GBA cover for your DS Lite. It's friggin' tiny. When you take into account that the pins take up almost half the real estate already, you'll realise that MicroSD cards are still way too big for the cart.

It wouldn't surprise me no one ever releases a cart that is flush AND uses a spring-loaded card slot for the DS Lite.

Most people agree that it does the job. No, having to file down the plastic isn't a good reason to stay away.

11. teH XeRO

Member teH XeRO GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I can second that...it seemed when i had posted about this problem in my ez4L (still waiting to receive a new one) there were barely a handful of people who were experiencing the problem, but its definitely become more apparent now and i wonder why they dont fix the friggin problem thats causing this error.

12. jiminycricket

Newcomer jiminycricket Newbie

Featured Posts:
    I'm using a Sandisk standard 1 gb microSD, formatted to fat/64k clusters.
    From what I've seen so far:

Metroid Prime: Hunters has a few skips when it's loading a new room/area
    Yoshi's Touch and Go! skips on the main screen, but plays fine

and that's it.

13. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    Canada

As you said, only a handful of people. Probrably a bad production run. The fix is getting a new one instead... i don't see how they could fix the problem... probrably just test the catridge out before sellling them

14. zragnarok

Member zragnarok GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    theres slowdown in animal crossing... i play with my friend side by side (im using 1gb TF and EZ4, he has retail cart) and it takes a good 1-2 seconds longer to load the next screen (entering or exiting a building)

still i got my EZ4 lite and 1gb Sandisk for about $60 total.... the slowdown is negligible and IMHO $80+shipping for the G6 is not worth it esp since the G^ has its own share of problems (English/Chinese update issue)

15. pirate_arrh
    OP

Newcomer pirate_arrh Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    New Zealand
    i have EZ2 and EZ3.

EZ2 rocked and was super solid. EZ3 was sht compared to it.

EZ4L looks worse, and slowdown is a deal breaker sorry.

Looks like i'll have to wait for ENG G6L.

cheers guys,