Is there really such a thing as quiet hard drives?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Oct 23, 2006.

Oct 23, 2006
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    A while ago, I got a new computer from PC World (don't make fun of me... I'm not l33t enough to build my own PC). Now, when I finally set it up, everything was nice. The monitor, the quietness of the fans but there was one itty bitty thing that bothered me. The hard drive. It's a 400gb SATA Seagate Barracuda and I was constantly told that it's TEH SILENTEST HARD DRIVE. Anyways, when I access a file from my documents or some other programs it makes this really annoying whining noise. Considering I have never owned any HD above 80gb I have no idea if a noise from the quietest HD is meant to be normal. Am I jumping the gun if I want to splash out on more money for a different HD just to get rid of the noise?

2. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    Barracuda's are usually very quiet..I know mine is. I wouldn't spend money on another harddrive, just deal with the noise I guess. Unless you've got 200 bucks just to throw around.

3. sage_inferno

Newcomer sage_inferno Member

United Kingdom
    wierd
    i got 2 sata barracudas ,none of them make a noise even at full load.
    only con they get hot and you can get finger burns

western digital drives tend send out a loud pitch noise after frequent use.

maxtor drives,forget about them to loud.

4. Paladin

Newcomer Paladin Advanced Member

United States
    Back in 2000-something, i had to get a replacement hard drive (the old one melted(!)) for an old Pentium2 which was a slim silent running drive. It was very very silent when I first got it and if you listen really hard you might here it.
    I don't use that computer as much anymore except for playing a few old win95 games that go crap on winxp (damn microsoft) but anyways I believe it was a maxtor (20GB) and it isn't loud at all.

5. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    First, do a backup of your "can't lose" documents right away. It's just a good idea if you have any questions about the fitness of your drive.

If you are in a very cool, quiet place, you might hear the hard drive, but the noise shouldn't be loud. It may still be a bit irritating due to the pitch, but it shouldn't be "loud", more of a "chatter" than a "whine".

Barracudas are quiet drives, in fact you may be hearing the pc's fans speeding up, not the hard drive at all. (Just a thought, that.)

I don't have SATA drives and haven't fixed anything with one, so I don't know if they're inherently louder than ATA drives, but as a rule of thumb, loud whining hard drives = impending drive failure..

I'd come over and give it an ear for you, but there's this big ocean thing getting in my way. So if you don't have any experienced buddies nearby, it might pay you to take it back to the store you bought it at and have somebody take a look at it, especially if it's under warranty. I'd certainly do that before shelling out for another hard drive.

6. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I'm worried it might be me developing OCD. Like I said, if I leave the PC on it's own. Not doing anything then it's silent. But it's when I start accessing files from the HD that the noise (which isn't like WHIRR WHIRR WHIRR WHIRR I'MMA GONNA DESTROY YOU, more like kerr kerr kerr) starts. Might even make a sound clip of it but chances are I'll put the microphone right up to the HD and exaggerate the problem.

7. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I have 6 sata drives, a couple of seagate ones and two western digitals. 1 of the seagates makes a fair amount of noise when reading and writing, as does the western digital. Some hard disks just make more noise for some unknow reason. Unless noise is an issue its nothing to worry about.

8. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Thanks. I just needed confirmation that a noise like that is normal and not the signs of imminent failure. I was so worried about this that I haven't even started filling up my HD with stuff I downloaded from bittorrent yet. It's all going to my external HD which is only 80gb and then burning it as data to DVD.

9. mthrnite

United States
    A sound clip would be nice. I know what you mean about the OCD thing though. We used to have this refridgerator that hummed. Didn't bother my wife at all. DROVE ME UP THE WALL!

We have a new fridge now! [​IMG]

10. Moneo

Newcomer Moneo Advanced Member

'Whining' sounds a bit weird to me. It shouldn't do that under normal circumstances. I have an external 400 gb seagate hdd (which is basically a pata barracuda in an enclosure), and the only thing I can hear from it is seeking noise.

Seeking noise is a real problem with the modern barracudas, by the way... ever since seagate lost this suite concerning aam 8) If you're looking for an extremely quiet hdd, even under full load, I'd recommend a Samsung.

11. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    +1 to that, in my experience building PCs I've found them to be the quietest. Not sure about performance or longevity but they're damn quiet.
    I had to build a couple of "silent" PCs about 9 months ago and they were my pic after trying WD & Seagate drives.

12. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Yeah, I guess that's the best way to describe the noise. It's a seeking noise. I suppose I should rearrange the PC so that it's under the table as opposed to ON the table and RIGHT beside the monitor. Samsung is one I'm considering but that's for when I have the money. Apparently when my dad bought the PC, I got locked into a "family contract" which means work to pay off half of it. BTW, is there a way that when I buy a brand new HD I can copy every single thing directly from my old HD to the new one?

13. mthrnite

United States
    Norton Ghost springs to mind.

Here's a HD cloning "how to"

14. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    Select contents of C:\ (except windows), copy, then paste to whatever drive your other HD is XD

15. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I can't even complain about the hard drive noise, because my CPU fan is so loud by itself. Everytime I turn on my computer, its like turning on an airplane, lol..., [​IMG]

16. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    When I updated from 6 to 40 GB I actually asked for the louder harddrive because I loved the audible feedback that always told you that the PC was just going slow and didn't die, yet. Someone needs to make a little USB device to simulate that sound...

17. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    [​IMG]

That sound is like a painful scream of the HD to me [​IMG]

18. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure if anyone cares but since I was bored I thought I might as well make a quick recording.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0RBECUL3

Funny enough, my sister is the one who's the heavy user of that PC and when I mentioned that I'm going to move the PC under the table instead of beside my fricken head where I can constantly hear the fan and the HD seeking, she says,

"NO! I DON'T WANT TO BEND DOWN EVERYTIME I WANT TO TURN IT ON"

"Well you bend down to turn on that guy..."

I am now typing this with a sharp pain in my groin from where she planted her foot.

19. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    [​IMG]
    Oh my, I´ll become homeless ipso facto if I say something like that [​IMG]

20. mthrnite

United States
    Ok, I listened, it doesn't sound dangerous at all, sounds normal.
    Time to shove that sucker under the table! [​IMG]

Edit: your sister however, sounds plenty dangerous! [​IMG]