Is there really a R4 flash chip shortage?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by qwertyasdf, Jul 23, 2007.

Jul 23, 2007
  1. qwertyasdf
    OP

Newcomer qwertyasdf Advanced Member

Canada
    ^^, and also, are the rumours true about R4 team ceasing development for a new chip they are releasing?

2. acrocosm

Member acrocosm GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    ii like your nic but i have no idea about what your're asking ^^

3. ghettobob

Member ghettobob GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I believe he's talking about DealExtreme.
    If you go on their forum they say that there is a shortage in R4's and M3's. And they will be out of stock for a bit.
    Then they link you to this super cheap SuperCard DS-One w/ 1gb kingston for only $37.

What a steal, err I mean deal!
    So this might make SuperCard top dog for a while (I hope) [​IMG]

4. roboz

Member roboz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good thing i got mine while they were still back ordering. [​IMG]

5. qwertyasdf
    OP

Canada
    Unfortuantely it only stuck for two days, it's $49.90 for the package as of today.

But is there really a shortage? How come I don't see it anywhere else? I've also heard rumours that R4 team is completely ceasing production because they have a new cart to be released soon, has anyone heard of this rumour?

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    As I understand the R4 is but a factory made version of the m3dss (the m3 team asked a factory to make one and they decided they would get in on the action).

Still chip shortages are real, if you can wade through all the crap there is some stuff buried in the iphone worship that purports to be tech news.

7. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    As far as I know wholesale companies are indeed currently generally out of stock (M3 and R4). This is (though not fully directly but from a reliable source) is because of production delays however the manufacturers state that stock should not be expected until early August (feel free to quote me [​IMG]).

8. Foie

Member Foie That one guy

United States
    Too bad it didn't last [​IMG] I missed it.

Also, another rumor is that the R4 factories stopped because of actions by Ique (the Japanese Nintendo DS distributor) Maybe the got threatened big time. That would make sense though, because I can see how Nintendo would be angry because a lot of game sales are going down due to the increased popularity of flashcarts, specifically the R4.

9. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    ya, and i heard that there will be a new R4 coming out.. like, from white case to black.. idk, OH, theres an upgrade coming on the R4, thats what i read in some sites, forgot which ones =S lol

10. ghettobob

Member ghettobob GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yeah I saw DealExtreme today to recommend them some SuperCard DS-Ones. And I saw the price rose!

Note to self: When dealextreme has an extreme deal...buy it instantly >_>

11. CSD

Member CSD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When was this?

I ask because I placed an order at DealExtreme on Thursday, when it was backordered and the ETA for the R4's arrival at their store was 7 days. On Monday (or Sunday), the status changed to "Out of Stock." However, it seems as though the status for my order has now changed to "Packaged" and "Shipping shortly." But it didn't ship on either Monday or today. Should I be worried?

12. roboz

United States
    We ordered our R4's on the same day [​IMG] . Mine says the same thing too it just means that they just packaged the r4 and are about to send it in the mail. After they do that they will give you a tracking # to track where your package is.

13. CSD

United States
    Haha, your reply made my original question sound completely moronic [​IMG]

I guess I was just worried for nothing. Thanks.

14. qwertyasdf
    OP

Canada
    That's what I really want to verify, is whether or not a new cart is really coming. If they were threatened/being sued by Nintendo then it would very much make sense for them to fold, and start up a new company with *almost* the same technology as the R4, wouldn't it?

15. roboz

United States
    Why would Nintendo sue them they didnt do anything wrong except sell flashcarts. The only thing illegal about it is the way you use it. Kind of like a DVD player. Some people may use it to play store bought DVD's but others will use it to play boot leg DVD's bought from the street or downloaded and burned on a DVD. They could only sue them if the country they sold it in said it was illegal to sell flashcarts

16. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    ...or rented, ripped and then burnt on a DVD. [​IMG]

17. tipsy

Member tipsy GBAtemp Regular

China
    It might have something to do with tampering with the hardware or something.
    I think I read somewhere you use the R4 at your own risk and when you use it your DS warranty is void .. something like that.

18. CSD

United States
    roboz,

I just received some discouraging news. I emailed DealExtreme asking when my order will ship and got the following reply:

The R4 is out of stock now, and I'm not sure it will be available, sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
    If you can't wait, please let me know, I'll cancel your order and refund you.

I immediately fired off another email asking why it says that my order is packaged and ready to ship on the site. I'm waiting for their reply, but I fear the worst.

Just in case, I'm going to start looking for alternative online stores.

19. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    That may be written, but there is no way for Nintendo to know if you have used an R4 in your DS unless you foolishly sent it in with your DS. I wouldn't know what they would do next with it. Get angry I suppose [​IMG]

20. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Wholesale is without R4's or M3's (at least the wholesale company I know) meaning any stock that companies have will have to be what they had left before this mess started.