Hacking Is there going to ba a PriiULoader soon(tm)?

Edizius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi,
Recently there is a large hipe on coldboot stuff (especially since CBHC is out) but I think officially the status is still "don't mess around with couldboot as it can brick your console".
Is there at the moment someone working on a brick-protection like PriiLoader for the Wii? Or is it at the moment not posssible as there is no access to boot0, 1, 2? Respectively is there going to be a safe version of coldboot ehich includes a backup-installer in case .xml has some problematic content?

Thanks in advance,
Edizius

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
CBHC is by its feature working like priiloader.

You have a hidden homebrew at boot located before the system menu.
It can boot system menu with patches (signpatch, region free, etc.), or autoboot something else (path on SD)

Priiloader "banner brick protection" is working because the console is always auto-booting the system menu titleID.
here, it's autobooting any titleID, and it's set to an installed title that the user have access and could delete, move, corrupt, etc. and is dependent on a config file which itself could be corrupted (wrong data or format)

CBHC has the same brick protection than priiloader : bypassing system menu at boot to access homebrew launcher.
The issue on the WiiU is that it can "brick" before that step. on wii, the step before priiloader was boot2 (launching bootmii, the real brick protection written at NAND sector 0), so I guess it will require boot0 key on WiiU to be able to do anything before system.xml

Reactions: Edizius

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
If you don't read and are an idiot and like to mess with stuff, even though instructions are given clearly enough, then suffer the consequences.

To your question, it's only early days, so who knows what will happen in the next 12 months.

Edizius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
CBHC is by its feature working like priiloader.

You have a hidden homebrew at boot located before the system menu.
It can boot system menu with patches (signpatch, region free, etc.), or autoboot something else (path on SD)

Priiloader "banner brick protection" is working because the console is always auto-booting the system menu titleID.
here, it's autobooting any titleID, and it's set to an installed title that the user have access and could delete, move, corrupt, etc. and is dependent on a config file which itself could be corrupted (wrong data or format)

CBHC has the same brick protection than priiloader : bypassing system menu at boot to access homebrew launcher.
The issue on the WiiU is that it can "brick" before that step. on wii, the step before priiloader was boot2 (launching bootmii, the real brick protection written at NAND sector 0), so I guess it will require boot0 key on WiiU to be able to do anything before system.xml

Ok, so if i understood correctly it is a save and a uninstallable "security system" (as long as the modified DS VC game is not uninstalled or moved), as it is first thing launched. So if it would support e.g. boot original system.xml (or an xml from sd card) if you hold any button, and otherwise use the modified xml there would not be any risk at all?
Isn't it possible to put the haxchi file somewhere in the system storage where you do not have the possibillity to see the file in home menu and therefore avoid the possibillity that someone moves/deletes/messes around with the application?
Sorry for the dumb questions, i only want to avoid that someone bricks my wii u by fault.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you can't put haxchi somewhere else, as it's based on a vulnerability of DS vc games.
for VC games, the executable is located in the game's /code/ folder (this is the emulator), and the ROM is located in the game's /content/ folder.
Only the executable is signature checked, not the content, so haxchi is a method which edit the ROM (doesn't need to be good signed) to add execution code used to patch the system menu, remove signature patch, etc.

you need an executable file, and the only place which is not signature checked is currently in a VC game.

boot -> system.xml -> TitleID to autoboot -> DS VC game -> haxchi code located in the DS ROM -> (re)load system with signature check patched.

I don't know if the WiiU works the same way as the Wii, but on wii channels could be hidden (the executable and data only, without any animated banner displayed on the system menu)
But if it's possible on WiiU, it would require a custom channel, which will not be signed, and therefore will not be launchable at console boot without signpatch.

Edizius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
you can't put haxchi somewhere else, as it's based on a vulnerability of DS vc games.
for VC games, the executable is located in the game's /code/ folder (this is the emulator), and the ROM is located in the game's /content/ folder.
Only the executable is signature checked, not the content, so haxchi is a method which edit the ROM (doesn't need to be good signed) to add execution code used to patch the system menu, remove signature patch, etc.

you need an executable file, and the only place which is not signature checked is currently in a VC game.

boot -> system.xml -> TitleID to autoboot -> DS VC game -> haxchi code located in the DS ROM -> (re)load system with signature check patched.

I don't know if the WiiU works the same way as the Wii, but on wii channels could be hidden (the executable and data only, without any animated banner displayed on the system menu)
But if it's possible on WiiU, it would require a custom channel, which will not be signed, and therefore will not be launchable at console boot without signpatch.
Ok, thanks. I think i got it. And it seems as moving the game into an folder and/or to an other screen does not brick the wii u. And uninstalling my apps/ move them to usb is hopefully nobody going to do :-)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
moving into a folder shouldn't be an issue, even if someone reported bricking his console by doing it.
but the folder created on the WiiU menu is not a real folder, it's more a flag. the DS VC game is still on the same place on the NAND, we don't know yet why it bricked his console.

To stay safe, just follow fix94 instruction : never touch your DS vc game after haxchi install. (except launching it, you can do that without issue)
if you don't want it visible, put it in a folder before installing haxchi/CBHC.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have my Wii U ask me for the password on my profile before anyone can use it. I like it that way, so people don't mess with my stuff, moving things around. Nobody (Girlfriend and step-daughter) messes with anything except for playing games, and when I tell them not to mess with anything in a certain folder, they listen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.