Is there anyway to use an Android as a Bluetooth Heaset?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Xuphor, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Xuphor
    OP

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I already have a (crappy old non-android) cell phone, it supports connecting a bluetooth headset to it to talk/answer/etc calls with, so you never have to take the phone out of your pocket. I'm wondering if there is an android app/hack/anything that lets your android device function as a bluetooth headset, in this regard. The crappy cell phone still is technically the one answering/making all the calls, but it would stay in your pocket the entire time. Since it'd be connected via Bluetooth as a headset, the Android device would be the thing that rings, the thing you talk on, the thing you hang up on, etc.

Is there any such a way to do this? I tried searching Google, but 80% of the threads were unrelated entirely, and of the 20% that are about this, most of them said to use Google Voice (which is completely irrelevant). The other ones never found a answer.

EDIT: I just found out that my crappy cell phone has Bluetooth sim-card access. If it's not possible to use an android as a headset, can I somehowly use my android to connect via bluetooth, and use my other phone's sim card?

2. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    I have only heard of android to android connections like that. For instance, I could connect my tablet to my phone via bluetooth and have my tablet receive all of my text messages instead of the phone.

Since it's a non-android phone you're working with... I don't think it would work. It needs an interface, setup menus, blahblahblah . :/

3. Xuphor
    OP

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    I was afraid of that.

Stupid question: Can androids just do this normally, via settings? If someone that has a android device and a non-android phone could see what happens when you join them via bluetooth, that'd be great. Just see what options are available when trying to make the non-android the master of the 2.

Also, what about my bluetooth sim-card theory?

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    When I tried this years ago with my Moto RAZR v3im and my HTC Dream, all it did was allow basic file transfer. I couldn't even get it to share contacts as I had with other non-android phones. Music or picture files were the limit.

If things have changed now with BT 4.0, I wouldn't know since I never use BT anymore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice