Is there anyway to potentially enable Wii U Gamepad Support the New Nintendo 3DS with Homebrew?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by epicmartin7, Jan 2, 2016.

1. epicmartin7
    OP

epicmartin7 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2015
    United States
    So by the title of this, I might sound a tad crazy with this question :P. Don't worry though, as there is some legitimacy with this question and not just some weird request. Even though this isn't a request question, it's more of a "is this possible" kind of dilemma.

Anyways, here's some background info to what my question is.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

To give you the gist of it, the NN3DS has the hardware necessary to function as a Wii U Gamepad. My question is, would it be possible to enable this functionality with the use of Homebrew at all?

I know the Wii U Gamepad's hardware is wide open and heavily decrypted already, so it should be easily be possible to do (unless I'm missing something.)

EDIT: Great, I misspelled the title of this thread :P. At least people will still get the gist of it I guess xD.

Last edited by epicmartin7, Jan 2, 2016
    Caseyfam likes this.
  2. MsMidnight

MsMidnight part time fe modder

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    we've got something similar, like the 3DS being able to be used for Smash wii u as a controller

3. epicmartin7
    OP

epicmartin7 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2015
    United States
    True, but I'm thinking of streaming the actual Wii U Gamepad sound and picture to the NN3DS.

4. MsMidnight

MsMidnight part time fe modder

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    what about the other screens though. that would mean the top screen would stay black, wii u gamepad-wise

5. epicmartin7
    OP

epicmartin7 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2015
    United States
    Well technically speaking, it would be impossible to stream the TV screen to the NN3DS without any other special kind of hardware. Unless a person who made an app to use this functionality put the Wii U Gamepad's video feed on the top screen and just made the bottom touch screen have no picture, but still be able to use touch screen controls instead.

Although this could go so many ways :P. We'll just have to find out if this is even technically possible first xD.

Last edited by epicmartin7, Jan 2, 2016
  6. Daku93

Daku93 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Wii U gamepads use 5GHz Wifi Direct for receiving the video feed. The 3DS only supports 2.4GHz Wifi. So no, not possible.

shinyquagsire23 and epicmartin7 like this.
  7. epicmartin7
    OP

epicmartin7 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2015
    United States
    Well, the video decoder chip in the New Nintendo 3DS is able to support the same H264 video format as the Wii U Gamepad. Wouldn't that still be enough for it to at least get a decent signal?

8. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    That's not really how it works. The Wii U Gamepad actually bases 100% of its communication on the 5Ghz wireless band which the 3DS can't even physically see. So video decoding has nothing to do with it.

Daku93 and epicmartin7 like this.
  9. arse

arse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2015
    No. You won't get any signal. It's a completely different wireless band

It's like trying to pick up FM radio on one that only supports AM wavelengths.

It's impossible. Sorry.

Daku93 and epicmartin7 like this.
  10. epicmartin7
    OP

epicmartin7 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2015
    United States
    Alright. That had me confused just a little bit. I didn't even know what kind of wireless signal the 3DS had :P. Thanks for letting me know!

11. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Not to mention the difference in screen resolutions. If it were possible, you would get a very bad picture on the touch screen as it would be scaling down to a much smaller resolution.

epicmartin7 likes this.