ROM Hack Is there anyway to get Mario and Luigi Bowser Story to work on a G6 Li

Makoto03

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I first got my G6 about 3 years ago, but it has been pretty good at still playing even recent roms. I'm not sure if the software is still being updated or not. Mario and Luigi Bowser's story is the first rom where nothing seems to work. I've tried patching it with the action replay codes using DATSM (sorry i can't remember how its spelled) and that didn't work. I tried software reset, trim, and safe mode settings, but they didn't work. Then i tried the already patched Xeno crack rom, but that also didn't work.

If there is anyone on here who is still using a G6 model and has found a way to get this game to work, please tell me.

Thanks in advance.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.acekard

Seriously though, it's looking pretty bleak for Slot2 users... And R4 (and it's clones) are only supported thanks to YSMenu/DSTT.
I don't want to imagine how much you paid for yours (I paid $60 for my R4, and $55 for my 1GB MicroSD card), but I know I've seen some slot2 devices (GBA and NDS) that run hundreds of dollars, but I think it's time you upgraded... the good news is an Acekard 2 is $10.44 at DealExtreme (above) and you can get a 4GB Kingston MicroSDHC card for $8.88 (sold out) 2GB Kingston MicroSD card for $7.48 -- less than $20 total

Makoto03

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you're suggesting i buy a whole new emulation device?

Man, i'll have to think about it. My G6 is old, but it has been playing alot of games properly. Plus, i'm not too familiar with all the devices. I'm not even sure what slot 1 or slot 2 means. Or the difference between a R4 or any of the other devices you mentioned.

I kinda wish i didn't get a G6, because i never hear anyone use that name when they list emulators, so its hard for me to tell which patches or updates work on my device. >_

Translucentbill

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Off topic kinda: if you like having tons of stuff on your MicroSD like i do this is what i got, 8GB Transcend MicroSDHC less than $20, faster shipping than Dealextreme

EDIT: Slot 1 = DS game slot Slot 2 = GBA slot

As for reliability in a new flash cart, i got a cycloDS ($50 :\) but seriously, its worth it.
And if you think about it $50 isnt even nearly close to the amount you would've spent on the actual game(if you're a pirate that is)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Makoto03 said:
So, you're suggesting i buy a whole new emulation device?It's a suggestion, yeah.
I wouldn't be surprised to find that the protection on M&L3:BIS will be standard and become more advanced as time goes by. That means more and more games are going to have lots of problems for people with flashcards -- especially older ones like the G6 and R4.

Makoto03 said:
Man, i'll have to think about it. My G6 is old, but it has been playing alot of games properly. Plus, i'm not too familiar with all the devices. I'm not even sure what slot 1 or slot 2 means. Or the difference between a R4 or any of the other devices you mentioned.Slot-1 is the NDS card slot, Slot-2 is GBA cart slot.
R4 is one of the more well-known flashcards, but is outdated and has no support team. Typically R4 users need to rely on hacked or unofficial firmware like YSMenu.
The Acekard2 (and AK2i) are newer with an active development team behind them keeping the games up to date.
There's plenty of info and reviews on GBAtemp about practically all flashcards there are... but many people will suggest Acekard2 because it's a good card that is cheap (you really can't beat $10.44)

QUOTE(Makoto03 @ Oct 1 2009, 02:39 PM)
I kinda wish i didn't get a G6, because i never hear anyone use that name when they list emulators, so its hard for me to tell which patches or updates work on my device. >_

Makoto03

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acekard2 is only $11?! II have enough to get that now.

Will it come with everything i need or will i have to buy additional stuff? Also, will it come with instructions and will it be already updated with the current firmware or do i have to do that myself? And how many MB/GBs of storage will it have? My G6lite only has about 410 mb of memory, but its usually big enough to hold 3 big games or up to 6 smaller sized ones.

Now i'm really excited.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Makoto03 said:
Acekard2 is only $11?! II have enough to get that now.

Will it come with everything i need or will i have to buy additional stuff? Also, will it come with instructions and will it be already updated with the current firmware or do i have to do that myself? And how many MB/GBs of storage will it have? My G6lite only has about 410 mb of memory, but its usually big enough to hold 3 big games or up to 6 smaller sized ones.

Now i'm really excited.
You'll need a MicroSD or MicroSDHC (HC=High Capacity) card.
They come in various sizes from 1 to 2 to 4, 8 and 16GB capacities.
If you can find a 1GB on Deal Extreme, it'll run you between $2 and $5, 2GBs are $5 to $8ish, 4's are $8 to $15 and 8GB will run you ~$20+.
Just a heads up, a lot of the MicroSD cards are out of stock, so make sure you check before you place an order.

Here's the link again for the Acekard 2s http://dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.acekard
There are 3 models:
Acekard2 ($10.44) - Standard Acekard2
Acekard2 Compact ($11.08) - As far as I can tell, Acekard2 without MicroSD reader. Get the one above instead.
Acekard2i ($12.97) - Acekard2 for the DSi

Here's a sampling of MicroSD cards, the 4GB one is out of stock and I couldn't find any others for that size...
2GB Kingston MicroSD card for $7.48
4GB Kingston MicroSDHC card for $8.88 (sold out)
8GB SanDisk MicroSDHC card for $21.66

Makoto03

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again for those links. I was going to go ahead an get it, but it think i will wait alittle longer, till my G6 becomes completely obeselet and unable to play any new roms again.

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*NO ONE* has mentioned this, so I'll mention this right now.

Dealextreme's acekard 2i's do NOT come with the USB card reader! That means if you get one, all you're getting is the acekard, and if you buy the microsd card, that also won't come with a reader. So then, you get your nice shiny acekard and microsdhc, but won't have a way to copy anything to it from the computer. Maybe they once did, but they sure don't now.

You're best off looking for a seller that includes the USB card reader, unless you have one already. There's one much closer, that has it for $19, includes the card reader, the acekard 2i is a *legit* non clone card, and they ship the same day. I'm not posting direct links due to some recent nazi activities by the big "N", but they're in Cali.

You can also easily transfer your saves from your G6 to the acekard by just saving the "default" (eeprom) file to the "1" or "2" (preferred) file for the rom, then renaming it to match the exact name on the acekard (with akaio firmware 1.5) with extension .SAV. And your G6L can still be used to play GBA.

Plus with 8 GB+ of storage, you can throw a TON of mp3's on and play them with moonshell on your Ak2i, GREAT when you want to relax and listen to music while on the go, or even throw a few movies on (if you converted them to DPG format).

Before people start whining about the old slot-2 prices, I think I paid over $100 for my G6L...and yes it was sometime in 2006 (judging from the starting play time of my "Meteos" in game stats (8/2006...)

The one BIG thing missing from the slot-1 devices is the ability to transfer saves from a retail game cart to the device, which is something that was VERY useful in the G6 Lite; transferring a save from a cart you own to a flashcart and playing it from there, saves space and danger of lost carts...I think only slot-2 devices allowed this (Xfer save-from default (slot 2 file) to DS card (slot 1), etc, and vice versa.

Velveteer

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you have the latest firmware? I think it's v5.1. After all of the anti-piracy patches, put it on with Force R&W and give that a go.

How far are you getting? Will it boot into the game or do you get White Screens?

You should be able to get the firmware from here: http://www.handheldsources.com/Download.html

If I wasn't allowed to post that, sorry. Delete it if you want.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Falkentyne said:

Dealextreme's acekard 2i's do NOT come with the USB card reader! That means if you get one, all you're getting is the acekard, and if you buy the microsd card, that also won't come with a reader. So then, you get your nice shiny acekard and microsdhc, but won't have a way to copy anything to it from the computer. Maybe they once did, but they sure don't now.
Are you sure?
This one shows the reader and the reviews say it has one although some people say they have problems with it: http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811

This one DOES NOT show the reader, and I think people have mistakenly bought it thinking it would have one: http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16142

Makoto03

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Falkentyne said:

You're best off looking for a seller that includes the USB card reader, unless you have one already. There's one much closer, that has it for $19, includes the card reader, the acekard 2i is a *legit* non clone card, and they ship the same day. I'm not posting direct links due to some recent nazi activities by the big "N", but they're in Cali.

You can also easily transfer your saves from your G6 to the acekard by just saving the "default" (eeprom) file to the "1" or "2" (preferred) file for the rom, then renaming it to match the exact name on the acekard (with akaio firmware 1.5) with extension .SAV. And your G6L can still be used to play GBA.

Plus with 8 GB+ of storage, you can throw a TON of mp3's on and play them with moonshell on your Ak2i, GREAT when you want to relax and listen to music while on the go, or even throw a few movies on (if you converted them to DPG format).

Before people start whining about the old slot-2 prices, I think I paid over $100 for my G6L...and yes it was sometime in 2006 (judging from the starting play time of my "Meteos" in game stats (8/2006...)

The one BIG thing missing from the slot-1 devices is the ability to transfer saves from a retail game cart to the device, which is something that was VERY useful in the G6 Lite; transferring a save from a cart you own to a flashcart and playing it from there, saves space and danger of lost carts...I think only slot-2 devices allowed this (Xfer save-from default (slot 2 file) to DS card (slot 1), etc, and vice versa.
Thanks alot for the info. Also, nice to see someone else on this board has had a G6 before.

I already have the Udisk V5.1 and i've tried all settings, including Force W (in fact thats usually the first one i try, alongside trim rom). That didn't work for me. I'm gonna try the new Blue Dragon game and Spore Hero arena and see if they play well.

It also sucks that the device you mentions doesn't come with everything i need. I'm not really sure what a usb reader is, but i wonder if i can use to usb device that came with the G6 lite. Its a shame they stopped updating that site you posted.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Falkentyne said:
The one BIG thing missing from the slot-1 devices is the ability to transfer saves from a retail game cart to the device, which is something that was VERY useful in the G6 Lite; transferring a save from a cart you own to a flashcart and playing it from there, saves space and danger of lost carts...I think only slot-2 devices allowed this (Xfer save-from default (slot 2 file) to DS card (slot 1), etc, and vice versa.You mean something like this: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2719
I actually just used it yesterday to pull my save off of my real "The New Super Mario Bros." cart onto my flash card.

Makoto03 said:
It also sucks that the device you mentions doesn't come with everything i need. I'm not really sure what a usb reader is, but i wonder if i can use to usb device that came with the G6 lite. Its a shame they stopped updating that site you posted.The USB reader allows your MicroSD card to be read/written by the PC. It's just a standard card reader, nothing special.
But as I said in my post above, I believe one of them comes with a card reader:QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ Oct 6 2009, 08:27 AM)
Are you sure?
This one shows the reader and the reviews say it has one although some people say they have problems with it: http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811

This one DOES NOT show the reader, and I think people have mistakenly bought it thinking it would have one: http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16142

Drucifer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought a G6 Lite when the first came out. Unfortunately someone stole my DS Lite. My G6 wasn't it the DS when the stole it though so I gave it to my sister because I now have Macs and the software isn't compatible.

Recently I bought a new DS and purchased a slot 1 flash card, Acekard 2i, and it is fantastic. It didn't cost anymore than the price of one game and compaired to the G6 Lite it is incredibly simple to use. The G6 Lite you always had to use the software to patch, trim, and make other adjustments to ROMs then if they didn't work you had to go back to the application and try different settings. With the Acekard 2i you just drag and drop. The process now is not only fool proof but terribly fast.

I definitely recommend upgrading, you won't regret it. With a Slot 1 Flash Card you lose GBA support but you can just keep your G6 Lite for GBA games only.

I also paid over $100 for my G6 Lite when I bought it.

Makoto03

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I paid over $100 for mines as well. The more i read these posts, the more i want to get the Acekard thing. I think i have enough to buy it now, but i gotta use my finicial aid money....

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Falkentyne said:

Are you sure?

I bought the ak2i, not the "2". There was only one sku, and it didn't come with the card reader. It was also DOA and the cart looked "used"--the sticker was worn with scratches. AND took 3 weeks to get here. Oh well, waste of $12...

The $19 one (i bought two of those) both came with card readers, looked truly new, and I received it the very next day, since I'm only 15 miles from their location.

Makoto03

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda Spirit tracks was the final straw. I think i am going to get an Acekard 2i now. It seems to be up to date and only $13 i think. Will it work on my NDS Lite, because i don't have a DS i yet. Also how many MB does it have? And will it come with all the accessories i need to get started from day one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: