Hacking Is there anyway to downgrade the firmware of a Wii U?

• Thread starter Deleted-353083
  • Start date
  • Views 56,226
  • Replies 86
D

Deleted-353083

OP
I watched a youtube tutorial today that seemed very legit (and yes i know how to spot fake ones straight away) about how to play downloaded Wii U games (wud files) using an app called Loadiine. I know it's only in it's infancy stage but from everything i've gathered it does work. However before i do anything i somehow need to downgrade my firmware from 5.5.0 to 5.3.2. Anyone know how?

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember in the past i took my PS3 to a shop and they downgraded it using an "Eflasher" or whatever it's called... can you do the same with a Wii U?
Theoretically, it's possible with electronic programmers and all that fancy jazz... But there's probably all kinds of signing and encryption which would have to be reversed, not to mention a very deep knowledge of the Wii U firmware as a whole and who knows what else. It would require a ton of reverse-engineered, which has not been done. This would also not be an economical solution for consumers to buy, and would be an illegal service for a store to carry out. The short version is: It is unlikely to be possible to downgrade any time soon. If downgrading is ever possible on a consumer level, it will require hacks are already installed.

So no. You can't downgrade. Don't count on ever being able to. However... There is a private 5.5.0 kernel exploit that is being worked on... So you can just block updates now and sit and wait for that to be released.

Reactions: NexoCube

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it's a conspiracy nintendo have found a way to infect our wiius with auto updates!
stupidfaceh.jpg

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Loadiine totally WORKS and there has been some amazing developpement on it, compatibility list has went over 80% of the games so far. So yeh that one is there.
But downgrade > NO, and I no think that would come any soon (and if it ever was possible it would require you to be on a hackable version anyway as the other guy said), even those who dumped their nand on older firmware using hardmod and tried to restore it after updating with that same dump have simply broke their Wii U. So don't count on that.
Only choice you got is to either wait for the private exploit to come out (in this case make sure you block updates, read stickies), or buy another Wii U on older version if you're impatient.

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Loadiine totally WORKS and there has been some amazing developpement on it, compatibility list has went over 80% of the games so far. So yeh that one is there.
But downgrade > NO, and I no think that would come any soon (and if it ever was possible it would require you to be on a hackable version anyway as the other guy said), even those who dumped their nand on older firmware using hardmod and tried to restore it after updating with that same dump have simply broke their Wii U. So don't count on that.
Only choice you got is to either wait for the private exploit to come out (in this case make sure you block updates, read stickies), or buy another Wii U on older version if you're impatient.
Can we have a approximative date ? ^^

D

Deleted-353083

OP
I know you're going to say "google is your friend" and i'm pretty sure i was told before it's against the rules to give links to sites where you download rom files, wud files etc. but i've tried finding them everywhere with no luck :( Reckon you could PM me some links to the best places to get wud files from?

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can we have a approximative date ? ^^
Any date someone gives you won't be more than a guestimate ^^. Maybe ask when Nintendo would make a new firmware update which will probably patch the bug for the last userspace exploit leaving for the team no reason to keep it private just like the previously released exploits.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you're going to say "google is your friend" and i'm pretty sure i was told before it's against the rules to give links to sites where you download rom files, wud files etc. but i've tried finding them everywhere with no luck :( Reckon you could PM me some links to the best places to get wud files from?
ABGX keeps a list of scene releases. Googling for those specifically should prove to be useful.

D

Deleted-353083

OP
Just one more question boys and girls... will using loadiine possibly get you banned from the Nintendo Network? Technically you're not actually installing software on the console are you? So technically you're not violating any of Nintendo's policies right?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Just one more question boys and girls... will using loadiine possibly get you banned from the Nintendo Network? Technically you're not actually installing software on the console are you? So technically you're not violating any of Nintendo's policies right?
ofc they can ban you if they feel like, i doubt there is much arguing semantics with them "oh i didn't steal his wallet i only stole his bank card and put it back after using it, so you cant arrest me":rolleyes:, any time you run unofficial software you are doing so at your own risk

Reactions: Deleted-353083

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
We don't know and speculation on this is pointless. Always assume that they can and will ban you, enjoy the grace period.

People thought the 3DS browser exploit was pretty solid until Nintendo sneakily implemented a phone-home feature right inside the browser and waited a few months to enable it.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't go online with Loadiine anyways, so Nintendo should only be seeing that you've spent some extensive time in Smash or Mii Maker. It's unlikely that you'd be banned.

D

Deleted-353083

OP
ofc they can ban you if they feel like, i doubt there is much arguing semantics with them "oh i didn't steal his wallet i only stole his bank card and put it back after using it, so you cant arrest me":rolleyes:, any time you run unofficial software you are doing so at your own risk

Lol, that was a funny analogy :P But i mean officially - is there anything written in Nintendo's terms of services that specifically mentions this kind of activity? Ofcourse they'll have stuff about installing software but do they have anything about this kind of stuff? I wouldn't be surprised if this is a loophole, plus not to mention can Nintendo even detect
You can't go online with Loadiine anyways, so Nintendo should only be seeing that you've spent some extensive time in Smash or Mii Maker. It's unlikely that you'd be banned.
That's exactly what i was thinking. I admit i did get banned from PSN for jailbreaking my PS3 when i was naive and stupid enough to believe the guy who "e-flashed" my PS3 firmware back to 3.55 or whatever it was told me to just install this particular program (can't remember the name of it) on there and it'll block Sony from being able to detect the custom firmware on there when you are signed in to PSN. Lasted about 3 weeks before i got banned lol. However with this... like you said your not online when you use Loadiine anyway, and if you're not connected to the Nintendo Network then even if they do have some kind of scanning software to try and detect modifications on people's consoles it won't matter as you need to be online first. That is also a bummer too i guess because that means you'll still have to buy games that you actually do wanna play on-line.

Anyhoo, that thing ByteBite said about the 3DS has me curious now, what exactly happened there?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s