EN!GMA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
... for real?

Maybe I'm deluded but PSP has a waaay better homebrew scene compared to DS.

First off psp has gba emulation, arcade emulation up to cps-2 (it could probably handle cps-3), perfect snes emulation, n64 emulation (i think), and thats just skimming the surface
Oh, and not to mention mugen (basically an open-character fighting engine) is being ported to psp

If you want homebrew, get a psp, just keep in mind that most psp games suck

Scytheandsickle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
... for real?

Maybe I'm deluded but PSP has a waaay better homebrew scene compared to DS.

First off psp has gba emulation (Flashcart has), arcade emulation up to cps-2 (it could probably handle cps-3), perfect snes emulation(Flashcart has near perfect), n64 emulation (i think)(With 3 FPS), and thats just skimming the surface
Oh, and not to mention mugen (basically an open-character fighting engine) is being ported to psp

If you want homebrew, get a psp, just keep in mind that most psp games suck

Comments.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PS1 emulation, GBA emulation, Megadrive/Gensis emulation, SegaCD/MegaCD, CPS.

N64 as well but the emulation is still fairly slow at the moment.

Probably more but I haven't checked in a while.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, all the systems have already been mentioned, so I won't bother with that. But, since the PSP has a faster CPU, it's better for system emulation. Plus, the larger screen helps as well. No more squished screens in gameboy and NES. (I'm an avid believer that all emulated systems should be ran 1:1, with no graphical effects) In terms of the emulators themselves, I've found PSP emulators to be much better. SNESTYL and Masterboy are great examples.

Some of the internet based homebrews are also very nice. PSPTube is almost perfect (and is updated constantly), and works very well. Even though the newest PSP firmware has internet radio now, it's still very basic, and you can't even put in your own addresses. PSP Radio (homebrew) is a much better option, until the official one gets better.

And lastly, the plugin system is great. ProtectMe is nice for locking down your system if your family or siblings have a habit of messing up your systems. And CWCheat is far better than any cart's cheat function. It can be used in game, and you can even search for cheats in game.

Oh, and what sells me: Cave Story. 'nuf said. (seriously, if you don't know of cave story, look it up, you're missing a gem)

Trust me, my DS has had FAR more game play of the two systems. But as far as homebrew development goes, the PSP has had a lot more.

darkzeroex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
homebrew on the psp is mainly for the psp phat. Although the newer homebrew programs are being ported to the psp slim and the psp phat, majority of the homebrew work on the psp phat with the 1.50 kernal add-on.
But yeah, like everyone has said above, the psp homebrew scene seems to be a lot more prevalent on the psp due to its greater power than the ds.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
come on son. It has divx player (PSPLAYERMT)
Youtube viewer - which now supports veoh dailymotin stage 6 and others i can remember.
Its got radio where u can put your shoutcast list
its got neogeo emu
pimpstramer - stram multimedia from pc to psp

S

scubersteve

Vereux0:
The PSP can emulate the N64, and play Super Mario 64 at ALMOST full speed, the only problem being minor graphical glitches (strange colours, not much that should effect gameplay)

The PSX emulation is near perfect. Just a little work on the user's end has to be done (getting a PSX ISO, and converting it). The EBOOTs produced from PSX emulation can also be compressed! =D

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Watch YouTube, DailyMotion, Stage6, and more, and download them all while you watch. Screw downloading and converting on your PC. Just use PSPTube and watch them RIGHT on your PSP.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Vereux0:
The PSP can emulate the N64, and play Super Mario 64 at ALMOST full speed, the only problem being minor graphical glitches (strange colours, not much that should effect gameplay)

no it doesnt, not to mention theres no sound
I'm under the impression that every last one of you (save puyodead who DOES know what he's talking about) doesn't even own a PSP.

So for real : YES it does run N64 roms. YES a lot of them are running at 5 FPS. YES you can enable sound, and the sound almost always works... At 2 FPS.
YES you can browse youtube on your PSP. And YES it's SLOW AS FUCK. (but still uber-cool)

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
YES you can browse youtube on your PSP. And YES it's SLOW AS FUCK. (but still uber-cool)
You must have either an ancient version or shitty wireless internet. It's very fast, just a few seconds to download some and it'll be downloading faster than it plays. (Obviously not for Stage6 though)
QUOTESo for real : YES it does run N64 roms. YES a lot of them are running at 5 FPS. YES you can enable sound, and the sound almost always works... At 2 FPS.
Not 5 or 2 FPS. SM64 is tolerable with sound, Smash Brothers is pretty slow but still tolerable without sound. I think you're the one without a PSP.

anime_junkie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vereux0:

The PSX emulation is near perfect. Just a little work on the user's end has to be done (getting a PSX ISO, and converting it). The EBOOTs produced from PSX emulation can also be compressed! =D
Wait, you can compress them? How?

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Vereux0:

The PSX emulation is near perfect. Just a little work on the user's end has to be done (getting a PSX ISO, and converting it). The EBOOTs produced from PSX emulation can also be compressed! =D

Wait, you can compress them? How?
Using IceTea, just slide the bar all the way to 9. Works like a charm. (Look for IceTea at QJ)

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
You must have either an ancient version or shitty wireless internet. It's very fast, just a few seconds to download some and it'll be downloading faster than it plays. (Obviously not for Stage6 though)
QUOTE said:
So for real : YES it does run N64 roms. YES a lot of them are running at 5 FPS. YES you can enable sound, and the sound almost always works... At 2 FPS.
Not 5 or 2 FPS. SM64 is tolerable with sound, Smash Brothers is pretty slow but still tolerable without sound. I think you're the one without a PSP.
Right. And your PSP also brews coffee. Look, be a nice little fanboi and go bash zewarrior or crygor in another thread if you want, these are the results I found on my PSP phat, and I'm standing by them.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
Right. And your PSP also brews coffee. Look, be a nice little fanboi and go bash zewarrior or crygor in another thread if you want, these are the results I found on my PSP phat, and I'm standing by them.

You're both wrong in an aspect. The PSP browser isn't slow. And SM64 Is pretty fast. BTW Hitto you're example is insulting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol