Hacking Discussion Is there anybody working on XCI loading like SX does?

Do you want XCI loading on other CFWs?

• Yes

Votes: 85 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 27.4%

• Total voters

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why, this topic still going on.

It has been discussed before, and hexkyz gave the best answer. -- No CFW that is open-source, would ever be legally able to release it.

#1 - XCI requires emulation of the cartridge encryption system - For this to work in SX OS they have crafted a 'semi-legit' cert based on actual game cartridge dump, and have included the main parts of it, for game dumps that don't have their own certs.

#2 - So for another CFW to have XCI loading, they would have to include 'copyrighted' and 'patented' code from nintendo and signed certs from legit game, as such any project pushed to github or another hosting service as open-source would have their project takedown asap and nintendo would most likely file legal charges against the author.

#3 - The only way maybe this might ever occur is if possible a custom .kip module was released anonymouns by some author, but then again might not even be possible that way.
couldn't they hypothetically make it so that you need a physical cart inserted to load .XCI files and use the det from the one physical cart kind of like how in early PS3 days a disc was needed in the BRD to load games

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
couldn't they hypothetically make it so that you need a physical cart inserted to load .XCI files and use the det from the one physical cart kind of like how in early PS3 days a disc was needed in the BRD to load games

Maybe, but that would mean spending time doing research on the encryption of cartridge reader and figuring out the patches and system, and sadly most homebrew authors either don't have the time or skills to do so. -- Truth is the only reason really the other firmwares can even do some piracy in form of sigpatches for NSP eShop games is they originally looked at how SX OS did the patches once the first unpack scripts existed, before that there was no effort even in getting any piracy on other firmwares. -- Only thing right now for future xci loading by someone else will be from another dongle company like Ace3DS willing to spend money/effort to code something, but right now those chinese firms are happy enough to bundle in ReiNX already setup on free microsd and sell a 'PRO' package of their dongles.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why, this topic still going on.

It has been discussed before, and hexkyz gave the best answer. -- No CFW that is open-source, would ever be legally able to release it.

#1 - XCI requires emulation of the cartridge encryption system - For this to work in SX OS they have crafted a 'semi-legit' cert based on actual game cartridge dump, and have included the main parts of it, for game dumps that don't have their own certs.

#2 - So for another CFW to have XCI loading, they would have to include 'copyrighted' and 'patented' code from nintendo and signed certs from legit game, as such any project pushed to github or another hosting service as open-source would have their project takedown asap and nintendo would most likely file legal charges against the author.

#3 - The only way maybe this might ever occur is if possible a custom .kip module was released anonymouns by some author, but then again might not even be possible that way.
The certificate part is not a big problem, they could simply not support dumps without cert. This way people need to inject a certificate in pirated dumps, while good self made dumps will work out of the box.

Any other keys for encryption also don't need to be included in the binary, they could just read it from an file on the sd.

But somebody would still need to implement everything needed for it to work, which would be quit some work for something probably mostly used for piracy by people.

Wezaa

Trophies
XP
Country
No one, same chance
I am yet to be banned, running SXOS since about a month after it was released. Only used XCIs. Upgraded, officially to 6.1. Update all my games officially while in OFW.

I'm holding off on installing NSPs, as I understand it, Nintendo can tell if you have bought/own the NSPs installed on you console through the eShop. So if I tried to update them in OFW like I do with XCIs, there would be a higher ban chance.
That's how I have interpreted it anyway.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I am yet to be banned, running SXOS since about a month after it was released. Only used XCIs. Upgraded, officially to 6.1. Update all my games officially while in OFW.

I'm holding off on installing NSPs, as I understand it, Nintendo can tell if you have bought/own the NSPs installed on you console through the eShop. So if I tried to update them in OFW like I do with XCIs, there would be a higher ban chance.
That's how I have interpreted it anyway.
I am yet to be banned too and I use NSPs only. Going online with NSPs installed. Updating FW and games officially too.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Reactions: Wezaa

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Hmmm, good to know. Have you installed any DLC NSPs too? I am tempted by a few but have held off.
Yes. But my guess is, that because I am from EU and I disabled "all" telemetry, ninty probably can't somehow check if I own the games. Or they just did catch me yet. No matter what, I am still not banned and I was using NSPs from the begging.

But it is all your decision.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftyFz0yBxj8