Is there any worthy Nyko PowerPak+ competitor in the horizon?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by adrian2040, Jul 31, 2011.

1. adrian2040
    OP

Member adrian2040 GBAtemp Fan

Peru
    Will there be anything that can beat the Nyko PowerPak+ when it comes to energy and/or comfortable design?

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    For some people, it is the only option available to them.

Nyko power pak+, is listed as 2x the 3DS (3DS battery is 1300 mA/h), 2600 mAh.
    Pega makes a nyko power pak+ clone minus the option for a charging base, listed rating is 1800 mAh.
    Mugen has battery pack, listed as 5800 mAh.
    Acase has one, listed as 3000 mAh.

pega is mostly a chinese supplier, should be found on any HK vendor that is selling 3DS parts and batteries.

mugen is mostly a UK supplier. The only reseller I know so far is here. I did find thier youtube page demoing thier battery. You can buy it directly from thier site if you need to, but it is listed for $98.95 USD. (Be aware this is not on the market yet.)

Acase, might be harder to find outside of the US amazon.com link.

On a cost basis alone the nyko battery pack is the cheapest you can get for increasing your play time on the 3DS, $20.00 USD.

3. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    I really like the Mugen battery. An awesome amount of playtime it has.

4. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I ordered Nyko.
    Where can you order Mugen from the UK??

I cant find it on ebay lol
    edit:
    Ok saw the links.
    £79
    holy shit -.-

5. commdante

Member commdante GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    There is an alternative for that Mugen which is almost as big though, they list it as 5000mAh, it seems to go a lot cheaper for anywhere from $15 to $30 orso. It gives around 9-11 hours according to the maker. (Just search for "3ds 5000mAh")

Problem with both I think is both the weight (around 100grams ... that is about 1/2 more weight on your 3DS) and it's size. I think it was on amazon where someone gave 3/5 stars, for it being so huge. After watching some youtube videos about it, it seems it's somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of the 3DS ... which makes it as thick in open position as the old/1st/phat DS closed!!
    I tried this size by adding a calculator to the bottom of my DSL and it didn't feel comfortable at all.

Also, the sides are only a bit rounded, so it will make the backside feel really square, I imagine.
    I myself don't think that would be comfortable to drag along and play on for long sessions. I already had problems with the DS Phat and PSP1000 for being quite heavy.

Also, the outer casing of the 5000mAh set is quite fragile it seems (I don't mean the battery-casing, but the other one).

I suggest you to be mindful of these things when looking for batteries.

So to answer the OP, in my opinion: No.
    I think if someone makes it (Nyko design) slightly bigger and keep most of the design it would be the maximum battery possible while still being comfortable and portable.

6. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Thanks for your insight. I'm entertaining the thought of getting one of these replacement batteries for long trips/camp

7. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
  8. commdante

Member commdante GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    No idea, it looks quite the same as I meant though.

Here is the youtube URL from the one I mentioned. It's from Cameronsino brand (might just be a logo extra on the battery and repackaged, but seeing how bad "those chinese batteries" are (not saying that one is, though), I personally would just go for the Cameronsino one.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7NJPmNQsXM

@DigitalDeviant
    Could really be a nice idea, don't forget there are also USB battery chargers. With a USB->3DS cable it could be a nice idea too. Maybe some of them work on AA's so you could bring a bunch of NiMH batteries to charge your 3DS. ;-)

Best thing about the GBA was that when you were on a long trip and your recharables ran dead, you could just find a store and buy some AA. ;-)

9. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
    Do they include the screwdriver or whatever is required to install the battery?
    What screw driver do you need anyway?

Gonna order that one, even though I order the Nyko Pak.
    Lets see the difference [​IMG].

10. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    There is also THIS available.

Pip'

11. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Don't believe in "magical" batteries that are 5x the standard battery capacity while retaining the exact same size. They may have the capacity they mention, but they will keep their charge only for a few months at best, then becoming shittier than the stock battery.

You can't cram in more juice into an already full carton, just get a "larger" co-battery instead.

12. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
    I doubt those even last as long as the original one lol
    DS replacement batteries are sold as 2000mAh or heck 10000mAH, over at dealextreme, which doesnt even last as long as the real battery [​IMG].

I have decided I will stick with Nyko since I already ordered it. Twice the amount sounds good enough to me.

13. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    Well, 2k mAh can't just have half the play time of the 1300 one, that's just not how it works.

The 3DS uses about 260 mAh per hour and won't magically start using more depending on your battery (it's not racist against Chinese batteries or something). So you should do mAhCapacity / 260 = amount of hours to find out how long you can roughly play with it before it runs dry. Simply put, if the battery does not meet that requirement afterwards, you could state that it either doesn't come with the stated amount of mAh or simply has faulty/broken cells and therefor is crap quality.

Anyway, I ordered this one yesterday:
    http://www.subtel.nl/nocache/accu-voor-nin...c1312189562.htm (dutch site though).

It's a 5k mAh battery weighing 130 grams which I thought was pretty nice for that price. I'll inform you when it arrives.

14. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
    all the maths is good and all. But those OEM stuff from China do not write the REAL capacity of the battery. Wasnt meant to be a racist comment or anything o.o

go over to DX and check all the 10,000mAh battries for the DS lite, which barely lasts as long as the real one.

15. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    It's oke really, I was only trying to make a point that not by default is 2kmAh or up worse then the original of the 1300mAh one.

I don't want people to think that capacity means shit as you put it before but that it is either a case of inccorect mAh capacity described or faulty cells by the manufacturer which result in that [​IMG]

I wasn't trying to be an anti-racist or something [​IMG]

16. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
    I am sure most people got the reference right. "over at dealextreme".
    So its pretty obvious that a 2000mAh that doesnt last as long as the original one isnt really 2000mAh.

anyway, should be getting my Nyko today or by tomorrow [​IMG]. Finally can use it longer playing pogeymanz online lol.

17. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    What I meant by "false capacity" is that the Li-Ion gel that's used in those cells is simply second-grade material - it may keep 10 000mAh the first time you charge it and then gradually lose ions, causing the capacity to drop drastically.

OEM Made in China batteries are crap, always has been. Same goes for cellphone batteries. If the battery claims to have a higher capacity then the stock one while having the exact shape - it's simply a lie.

18. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    Woa, your 3DS will now look like shit :S Like an ugly reversed Maya temple.

Nyko+ all the way for it's lesser size.

Pip'

19. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    Got the battery in, just put it on and seems to be working fine. However I can't really judge it yet in terms of hours it lasts. However it has gained some weight and size. It doesn't bother me though since I get more grip out of it.

Seems to be a fine purchase for €20,-

Only downside so far is that it didn't come with a screwdriver so I had to get a new one. Though it's just a minor detail.

20. Koldur

Member Koldur Virtual Boy Ambassador

Netherlands
    Don't buy this battery, in the official statement it says that it is a plain 1300mAh battery, the same as the one it comes with....