Hacking Is there any way to update to 4.2 w/o having to redo any exploits?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Erm...you DO know that the latest official version of IOS70 (v6912) is a stub, right? As long as your package includes v6687, then there's no problem. But just the fact that you don't even mention it is something I would consider dangerous.

But at least it doesnt contain trojans like modmii, so how dangerous can it be eh? :D /sarcasm

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
1. No, I told him to follow update.zip, which would just update the SM and ios's. It isn't dangerous or stupid. It could be pointless to us, but if he wants to be on 4.2, then who are we to stop him?
He wanted to update to 4.2 because he thought there was some benefit to it. If he has a region changed Korean Wii (keep in mind that most people don't realize they have one) then he could get a 003 error. I imagine your guide installs IOS60 into slot 70, but if he were ever to install a fresh IOS70 (which you will still see people recommend from time to time), he would get an error. By using 4.2 you also lose a few options like the Netflix exploit.

In the end, there is absolutely no reason at all to have people update past 4.1.

2. It doesn't change his current cIOS setup. Which reminds me, after you bashed the cIOS setup in another thread, I asked why, and you never answered.
Sorry, I never saw that. The issues lie with your hermes cIOS setup.
202 - It uses base 57, which doesn't play well with MPlayer CE. Base 60 works fine with everything that still supports 202.
222 - You are using v5.1R, but v4 should be used of compatibility.
223 - The same as above, but more important. 38 merged with 37 has about the same game compatibility as base 56, so it's a great alternative if d2x doesn't work with your HDD.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For crying out loud. JUST USE MODMII and be done with it! There are no f'ing trojans/virus in it.
OMGZ!!!! 1 of 43 in VirusTotal throws up a trojan!!!!! And it's one of the most popular and widely used antivirus called "TheHacker"!!!

And what's this talk of 4.2/4.3 being "dangerous"?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How on earth do people still not know about the 003 brick? >.<

Doesn't it have to be a Korean Wii AND region changed AND updated directly from the Wii menu for that to happen? The majority of people have absolutely nothing to worry about, but yes, it can happen.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
How on earth do people still not know about the 003 brick? >.<

Doesn't it have to be a Korean Wii AND region changed AND updated directly from the Wii menu for that to happen? The majority of people have absolutely nothing to worry about, but yes, it can happen.
It has to be a Korean Wii that was region changed, and tons of them are (I don't know percentage-wise) because you gain GC support that way, and they are cheaper than other Wii's so people buy them, region change them, and (sometimes) swap the case for that of another region, then sell it as a new EUR/JAP/USA Wii.

The update doesn't have to be from the System Menu.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think you're exagerating the amount of korean wii's out there. most people go to a real store.

and now that there's letterbomb, i see nothing wrong with going all the way up to 4.3. sure no benefits, but not really any downsides, either. but that's me and my wii. for anyone else, i just tell them to go with modmii's default choices.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
i think you're exagerating the amount of korean wii's out there. most people go to a real store.

and now that there's letterbomb, i see nothing wrong with going all the way up to 4.3. sure no benefits, but not really any downsides, either. but that's me and my wii. for anyone else, i just tell them to go with modmii's default choices.
It depends where you live. You won't find that many Korean Wii's outside of Asia.

I think we are looking at this from different perspectives. I'm considering popular guides that will be used by thousands of people around the world. I'd say it's very reasonable to suspect that at least one user has a region changed Korean Wii. There shouldn't be any unnecessary risks.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, you want to update to 4.1U. Then you get the latest features and bugfixes without all the drawbacks of 4.2/4.3. I have no idea why that guide has you install 4.2, because there is no point in it unless you want an inferior softmod.

I don't know what drawbacks you're referring to. Exactly how is it inferior?

I find 4.3 the easiest to softmod. It doesn't require you to play a game before copying a save from an sd card & it already has IOS58 installed so you only have to install HBC once. Plus HBC can see your USB hard drive, so no need to copy stuff onto the SD card.

The only problem I can see is the korean wii issue, it's not something I think about. I'm suprised nobody has ever done a mod that removes the korean key, so you don't need any patches. That would be much safer.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you want to update to 4.1U. Then you get the latest features and bugfixes without all the drawbacks of 4.2/4.3. I have no idea why that guide has you install 4.2, because there is no point in it unless you want an inferior softmod.

I find 4.3 the easiest to softmod. It doesn't require you to play a game before copying a save from an sd card & it already has IOS58 installed so you only have to install HBC once. Plus HBC can see your USB hard drive, so no need to copy stuff onto the SD card.

The only problem I can see is the korean wii issue, it's not something I think about. I'm suprised nobody has ever done a mod that removes the korean key, so you don't need any patches. That would be much safer.

Ppl are afraid of 4.3 cuz it would delete hbc 1.0.6 and there were no available exploits to get your shit back. Basically it used to be a pain in the ass and ppl are still afraid of that for some reason. And the deal with the region changed korean wiis

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It depends where you live. You won't find that many Korean Wii's outside of Asia.

I think we are looking at this from different perspectives. I'm considering popular guides that will be used by thousands of people around the world. I'd say it's very reasonable to suspect that at least one user has a region changed Korean Wii. There shouldn't be any unnecessary risks.

i can totally go for caution. but reading your posts, it sounds like you prefer outright paranoia.

alex.ap.pacman

OP
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
United States
Well. I can say this. I am willing to learn whatever it takes to understanding more about how the Wii's firmware works and how installing cIOS's works as well. I have bricked one of my wiis for trying to turn it back to an original wii. In the process I messed everything up, so luckily, my brother's wii was just in the closet, and well, I had already put the HBC channel on it and modified it before - so I'm just trying to make sure that if I do choose to update to 4.1, that I can understand how it all works out.

For the record, I'm not completely retarded on the subject of modifying the Wii - I understand how some of it works, what occurs and such, but again, I am here to further my knowledge, even if its from a "How To Mod for Dummies" guide :D

------------------------------

So on a completely different topic - I've been trying to get a good, decent, Wii wbfs manager on my computer - for Linux - Most of the ones I've tried are working - Wii Backup Fusion, java-wbfs, etc - the only issue I've run into is EXTRACTing the games off the drive.

I've tried running the Windows WBFS manager through Wine - and that was a headache in itsself.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

i can totally go for caution. but reading your posts, it sounds like you prefer outright paranoia.
These are public forums. It may not always look like it, but a lot of people actually DO use the search button for answers.
Also: it doesn't hurt to inform the readers who don't have Korean-changed wii's about the issue. Even though some people just want to restrict their knowledge about hacking to "just use modmii" (yeah, I'm looking at you, Deadliner).

If anything, I think JoostinOnline has had too much experience with end users. You know the kind: they see it as a personal issue if a guide (or even a community) doesn't help their specific situation and are ready to blame everyone who's trying to help them. Well...I've seen JoostinOnline actually help out those guys when all the "just use modmii"-parrots were suddenly very quiet.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i never attacked his credibility or knowledge, or said we should ignore the issue surrounding korean wiis.

you're putting words into my posts that arent' there. i simply stated that his posts with regards to korean wiis had more of a paranoia tilt (korean wiis are everywhere and nobody, and i mean nobody, can know for sure) than a caution tilt to them. i also stated that i was fine with caution.

basically, i don't know where you're coming from.

i also know that i don't know nearly as much about wiis as you or joostin, but that doesn't mean that my posts are automatically invalid.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i never attacked his credibility or knowledge, or said we should ignore the issue surrounding korean wiis.

you're putting words into my posts that arent' there. i simply stated that his posts with regards to korean wiis had more of a paranoia tilt (korean wiis are everywhere and nobody, and i mean nobody, can know for sure) than a caution tilt to them. i also stated that i was fine with caution.

basically, i don't know where you're coming from.

i also know that i don't know nearly as much about wiis as you or joostin, but that doesn't mean that my posts are automatically invalid.
I apologise...I must have misread the tone of your post. My English is pretty decent (if I may say so myself), but things like this remind me it's not my native language. :shy:

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
In general, it just has fewer ways to recover from a brick because so many exploits are blocked.

I find 4.3 the easiest to softmod. It doesn't require you to play a game before copying a save from an sd card
Actually that's not true. Didn't we discuss this already, or was that somebody else?

& it already has IOS58 installed so you only have to install HBC once.
True (unless you did a manual update), although you can install IOS58 before the HBC, then launch the hackmii installer. But you are right, that is one less step you need to follow if you did an official update.

Plus HBC can see your USB hard drive, so no need to copy stuff onto the SD card.
That has nothing to do with your System Menu. The HBC has been able to run apps from a HDD for a long time.

I don't think anybody knows how.

TL;DR
  1. If you are on 4.2/4.3 and you have decent brick protection (i.e. a NAND backup and Priiloader), then it's not a big deal if you stay where you are.
  2. There is no reason to update past 4.1. You will only lose brick recovery options and risk bricking your Wii, although the odds of bricking from an update are very low, especially if you live outside of Asia.
  3. You should never suggest that somebody update past 4.1. Although the chances of bricking from the update are extremely low, you shouldn't put anybody at risk when you know that they won't gain anything by updating.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find 4.3 the easiest to softmod. It doesn't require you to play a game before copying a save from an sd card
Actually that's not true. Didn't we discuss this already, or was that somebody else?

i don't see how letterbomb fails to fit his description. While you need your mac address, and you do need to copy files onto the SD card like with any exploit, no game is required.

clarification for the unwashed, please?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm telling