Is there any way to trick the Wii U into thinking there's a wiimote paired?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by Tairetsu, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Tairetsu
    OP

Tairetsu Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2016
    Argentina
    Newfag here, I was reading on the Nintendont homebrew application, and how it works.

So you need to access the vWii and install the homebrew channel in there in order to use the Gamecube games, and I was wondering if there's a way to do this without having an actual Wiimote or really any Wii controllers whatsoever. Since the console asks you to pair one and use it to navigate into the Wii menu.

As you might imagine, I don't have one, is there any way to do this using only the gamepad or the pro-controller?

And a bit of a related question, would it be possible to use a Wii .iso file or a burned copy of the games required for the exploit? Or does it need to be a legit copy?

2. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Unfortunately, to modify the Wii Menu to accept GamePad or Pro Controller input would take an IOSU exploit, and everyone here knows that won't come out until the Fire Kingdom freezes over.

In order to run the exploit, you will need a disc copy of the game, because you need an exploit to actually load iso images.

Tairetsu likes this.
  3. Tairetsu
    OP

Tairetsu Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2016
    Argentina
    Unfortunate, and interesting, what constitutes an exploit for IOSU? Why is it such a complicated thing to get or do?

And also, right, you need to install the homebrew before using backed up games, that makes sense, what about iso images burned into DVDs? Is it the same?

4. CreeperMario

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    You would need a (currently non-existent) drivechip to launch backups on your console (unless you're in possession if AAA developer tools which Nintendo will only give you if you pay them $5000+)

IOSU is getting closer and closer - some devs have posted a functional IOSU kernel exploit, though there's nothing to do with it yet except restart your console.

5. Tairetsu
    OP

Tairetsu Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2016
    Argentina
    Is this due to lack of information being revealed by Nintendo regarding how the OS is built? Sorry if the questions are a bit dumb.

This is the same reason why the app that makes any controller work on the console only simulates the gamepad and can't allow other controllers to be used as player 2+, right?

6. CreeperMario

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Can you please re-phrase that? Are you talking about HID-to-VPAD and USB controllers?

7. Tairetsu
    OP

Tairetsu Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2016
    Argentina
    The first sentence is about the exploit, I was wondering if it's hard to get just due to lack of information.

The second sentence is about HID-to-VPAD, yes.

8. CreeperMario

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Obviously, Nintendo won't release details of their closed operating systems. That would make the lives of my superior home brewers way too easy. Though, reversing the system is what makes finding exploits fun.

As I said before, there is a work-in-progress IOSU exploit that has been publicly released. The developers on this implementation used documentation already uploaded on WiiUBrew.org by Hykem and his team.

TL:DR - An IOSU exploit takes a lot of work, but most of this work has already been completed. We already have full access to the system, now we just need someone with the ability to back-up and restore their console in the event of a brick to work on some tools that make it easy for end-users to hack their consoles.

With HID-to-VPAD, @Maschell was able to patch the functions inside the Wii U's kernel, which allowed him to simulate the GamePad through another controller. He is working on allowing other controllers to be spoofed, though.

Tairetsu likes this.