Is there any way to tell what firmware is default on a new PSP-3000?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by hyuganet, Jul 27, 2009.

1. hyuganet
    OP

Newcomer hyuganet Newbie

United States
    Essentially, here's what I'm wondering:

I want a PSP-3000 to upgrade over my 1000. My options are buy a new core unit or buy a new bundle (I'd rather do core). Is there any way to tell what firmware comes pre-installed? Obviously I'd prefer 5.03 or earlier and would like to know before putting the money down. Your help, as usual, is appreciated.

2. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I think there is a way, it has to do with the serial number or something like the sort. It's a chart that tells you what firmware is on it but I think it only applies to PSP 2000s and 1000s. You may have to do a bit of googling to find the chart.

3. Spartan117H3

Member Spartan117H3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    PSP's don't come preinstalled with the latest firmware. They come preinstalled with the latest firmware out at the time and I'm pretty sure they aren't updated except with new releases. You should be safe with buying a PSP 3000. I bought mine when it came out and it had FW 5.00 or something and I had to upgrade to 5.03 The serial number just tells you the motherboard version, I believe, only needed for 2000s.

4. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

This is both correct and incorrect. Obviously when a PSP is built they can only throw on the latest firmware version they had, but that's true in the other direction: once Sony has a new firmware, new units will be built with it. Particularly with the chickHEN hack, Sony has every reason to stop making vulnerable PSPs ASAP, which means they would have started to use firmware 5.50 as soon as they could.

As such, there are uncrackable PSPs out there, it's only a question of where they are. The lead times on shipping mean that it takes a while for something like the PSP to actually get out to stores. If 5.50 units haven't already shown up, they will soon.

Anyhow, as far as I know there is no way to tell what firmware version is on a PSP-3000 simply by looking at the box. It's going to be a crap-shoot, and the odds are going to get worse as time goes on. If you're going to get a PSP, start looking for one sooner than later.

5. Spartan117H3

Member Spartan117H3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You kind of said what I said. I meant new releases as in a new batch of PSP's, sorry for the misinterpretation.

The PSP 3000 was released in October 14, 2008 according to Google. The bad thing about it is Sony had plenty of time to release an updated PSP. The good thing about it is not everyone wanted to update their PSP just for a built in mic and better anti glare screen so many of the early released PSP's haven't been sold. You may get lucky and get one that isn't updated but then again, you might not.

As far as the "firmware on the box" deal, I believe if there ever was a way of telling in the previous PSP boxes, Sony has probably removed it or hidden it securely. I doubt they'd want you to know for obvious reasons.