Is there any way to power a 3.5 inch Hard Drive via USB?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Fudge, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Fudge
    OP

Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

Banned
    Aug 26, 2009
    United States
    New York
    I have a 120GB desktop HDD I want to use for my Wii, however it will not power when connected to my Xbox 360 transfer cable :P The 60GB hard drive from the Xbox 360 enclosure works with it. If I can't power it with USB, is there any way I can add a power supply??

2. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    You may need a cable with two USB plugs on it, I have seen those before and they are needed for some drives. Otherwise, you should be able to plug in an AC power supply depending on your enclosure.

3. Fudge
    OP

Banned
    Aug 26, 2009
    United States
    New York
    No enclosure, just a SATA to USB cable.

4. Sly 3 4 me

Sly 3 4 me GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2009
    United States
    Illinois
    I use a cheap $10 Sabrent adapter to power my SATA and IDE drives. It comes with it's own power supply and it works nicely. Takes only a few seconds to show up in windows xp, windows 7, and my wii.

5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    You could power it using a computer. Just turn the computer on with only the power cable attached to the drive, then have the data cable for the 360 attached when you turn on the 360. I had to do something like that when hacking the Xbox 1.

6. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

Dec 2, 2007
    Perth
    i may be wrong but iirc, 3.5" drives require 12v and 5v where 2.5" can run off of just 5v (most usb ports supply 5v,1a)

7. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Or if you jump the green and any black pin on the 20/24 block on an ATX psu, it'll turn on as long as the pins are jumped, which you can then use a SATA lead to power your drive.

I've had so many drives burn out while doing this. Coincidence or not, I have no idea.

8. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Most drives require 12v, some 3.5" drives only require around 6-8v.

Come to think about it, I'm not sure the 360 even supports 3.5" drives, but I don't know for sure so I'm not saying anything.

9. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Well I'm guessing the 360 just sees the drive as a mass storage device? In which case it doesn't need to explicitly 'support' the drive. So long as you power it, it doesn't care what's connected.

10. Fudge
    OP

Banned
    Aug 26, 2009
    United States
    New York
    I was using a transfer cable for the Xbox, not using the hard drive on the 360! Anyway, I got the power supply board from a broken external hard drive I had and hooked it up to the SATA one, and it works fine!