1. ChronicMasturbator

OP ChronicMasturbator Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    The best comparison i can make is where you put a "portable" txt file in your Dolphin Emulator installation folder so therefore any games played with that install would only interact with that folder so you could make another install folder (for cases, for example, if different Wii/GameCube games worked better with different versions of Dolphin)

The reason i ask is because i did that thing of buying access to another Steam user's account to play the Resident Evil 3 remake for like $5... and so obviously everytime i wanna switch between my account and all the games on it and RE3, i have to log out, go offline and then log back in with the other username and password. It would be just much more convenient if i could just have like a "portable Steam" where i have 1 install folder with his account and the login details saved and set to offline so i could simply double-click the RE3 icon on my desktop any time i wanted to play it... and vice versa - have another with my account with my login details saved and set to online and also accessed by just double-clicking the Steam icon on my desktop. Is it possible?

2. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Not really possible unless you have two windows installs. It's not that hard to swap logins though, but it's also illegal to account share in such a way. You got ripped off paying for access to someone else's account and broke tos. imo pirating is better than that as you're funding people who take money away from the developers and such

3. ChronicMasturbator

OP ChronicMasturbator Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    I didn't get ripped off because I was able to play it just fine and have already finished it infact. Was just asking because... I don't know… I guess I'm just lazy lol. For $5 I view it more as like back when video stores were around and you rented a game out for a few days or a week etc.

Anyways... someone else did mention VirtualBox... but is it worth it? Can you have a VM with Windows 10 on it aswell... and if you can, is it really worth the effort?

4. McPringles

McPringles Member
    Newcomer

United States
    You could try Sandboxie, although I'm not sure how much of a performance hit you'd take. Basically it runs apps in a virtualized 'sandbox' that retains files until you delete it. The stored Steam login in the sandbox could then be completely separate from the one stored in 'normal' Windows.

You could also try setting up family sharing if the RE3 account isn't at its limit, meaning you could play without logging into the other account, but if anyone else is using that account at the same time you'll be kicked off.

ChronicMasturbator likes this.
  5. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    A vm won't allow you to play games well in general (unless very low quality and you have a noice cpu) . Steam Family share is a good idea.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Sandboxie isn't a typical VM, you're not running a completely separate OS, it's more like running applications under a different users at the same time on the same OS (though it's a bit more complex). You still have access to all the resources of your PC, it's just sandboxed off.

And that would actually be a solution (or, at least, it was when I tried something similar back in like 2015), installing a second Steam client under Sandboxie should get you around the issue of only one steam client being launched at once.

Mythical likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - independently, seperate, installs