Hacking Is there any way to go online AND block/stop patches?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm excited about the Gateway, which I'm going to be using to test the lesser known games and the "I don't know if I'm gonna like this..." games, but I still wanna play games like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, X/Y, and other games that may need online to enjoy to the fullest.

People everywhere say to turn off wifi when using flashcarts, but is that because it might detect it and send that data to Nintendo, or is it because, just by going online, you risk being forced to patch, which may in turn block any flash carts?

I'm hoping to be able to play any current and future games online, and still have the ability to use Gateway (or any future flashcart based off of it with better features), but I don't want to have to buy 2 3DS just to make sure I always have at least one system to play on.

Yes, I know it's early to think about Gateway, but I just wanna make sure. From what I understand, I'm screwed, but there's always hope~

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
People everywhere say to turn off wifi when using flashcarts, but is that because it might detect it and send that data to Nintendo, or is it because, just by going online, you risk being forced to patch, which may in turn block any flash carts?
No, some people by nature, blindly click and okay everything ignoring what it might do just so they can start playing. Telling people to turn off the wifi preempts them doing just what I just described.

I'm hoping to be able to play any current and future games online, and still have the ability to use Gateway (or any future flashcart based off of it with better features), but I don't want to have to buy 2 3DS just to make sure I always have at least one system to play on.
If you want to play online, you will always run the risk where nintendo makes you do an update for no other reason than to block flashcarts under the guise of improving the backend functionallity. From my perspective, I see the mario kart update as a test to manually force people to update, even if it did fix something.

Yes, I know it's early to think about Gateway, but I just wanna make sure. From what I understand, I'm screwed, but there's always hope~

We will not know how update proof this cart is until nintendo trys to force an update.

Reactions: JoelLittle

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, some people by nature, blindly click and okay everything ignoring what it might do just so they can start playing. Telling people to turn off the wifi preempts them doing just what I just described.
Damn... I'm one of those people...
If you want to play online, you will always run the risk where nintendo makes you do an update for no other reason than to block flashcarts under the guise of improving the backend functionallity. From my perspective, I see the mario kart update as a test to manually force people to update, even if it did fix something.
So if a person refuses to update, the game is unplayable? That sure does suck.
We will not know how update proof this cart is until nintendo trys to force an update.
Yeah, I'm not going to be one of the day-one buyers, but I'm probably not going to be one of the people who waits until there are tons of cheaper clones available, either. I'm just gonna wait until I find out if it works, and if it does, if it's updateproof.

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't stop you from playing the game, it blocks you from using online features if your not going to update.
Oh. Well that's better, but not ideal of course. I guess I'll just wait to see how patch-proof this thing is before I consider going online for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon~

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
my friend, if you want to play online, buy retail games and forget about any problem ;D NOT CHEATERS ANYMORE :S

There will always be cheaters online, who you trying to fool here, are you trying to fool yourself into believing that online play is going to bar a cheater.

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my friend, if you want to play online, buy retail games and forget about any problem ;D NOT CHEATERS ANYMORE :S
I plan to buy any games that benefit from online activity, but I have been really picky with video games lately, and I wanna make sure I don't end up spending money on something I'm gonna play for 10 minutes and never pick up again.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh. Well that's better, but not ideal of course. I guess I'll just wait to see how patch-proof this thing is before I consider going online for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon~
Just remember that new games comes with new updates. The gateway flashcart will most likely be patched immediately and there's nothing you can do about it if you want to play newer games. We can't just edit the game files and remove updates, even if we could some of those updates will be needed for the games to even function properly in the first place.

You will be extremely limited by purchasing this device when it comes to online and game selections.

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just remember that new games comes with new updates. The gateway flashcart will most likely be patched immediately and there's nothing you can do about it if you want to play newer games. We can't just edit the game files and remove updates, even if we could some of those updates will be needed for the games to even function properly in the first place.

You will be extremely limited by purchasing this device when it comes to online and game selections.
Yeah, I know, that's why I'm gonna wait until we find out more about Gateway. If it can function using the latest firmware, then any games that are already released should function while using it.

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I plan to buy any games that benefit from online activity, but I have been really picky with video games lately, and I wanna make sure I don't end up spending money on something I'm gonna play for 10 minutes and never pick up again.

ok, I know how you feel, maybe I'll do something like that, downloading and playing a game before to buy it to see if I will play it or not... but I'm sure that you will not only play 10 minutes of any main-series PKMN game hahahaha :P

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, I know how you feel, maybe I'll do something like that, downloading and playing a game before to buy it to see if I will play it or not... but I'm sure that you will not only play 10 minutes of any main-series PKMN game hahahaha :P
Yep, that's why I said in my first post that I'm going to be buying Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon X/ Y(probably Y).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1