Question Is there any way to get back to a “clean” nand?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by KylieJenner, Aug 27, 2018.

1. KylieJenner
    OP

KylieJenner Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2018
    Australia
    Ok so if you were to clear all the logs and stuff that are identifiable that ninty are banning people for and then did a factory restore would your switch then be back in a “clean” state?

A friend realised they didn’t have a clean nand backup would just a factory reset get you back to a clean state?

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Just restore your clean NAND backup, and all is golden.

Oops, lesson learned I guess.

KylieJenner likes this.
  3. KylieJenner
    OP

KylieJenner Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2018
    Australia
    I have mine safely locked and on my desktop my friend however not so much

4. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    You can probably make clean NAND using only prodinfo. I have no idea how and if it is even possible.

5. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    A "clean" NAND is not necessarily a "safe" NAND.

People have been banned for clearing their logs, so it seems Nintendo also checks for "continuity"
    i.e. if some logs your Switch sent before go missing, it means you did something questionable to get rid of those logs.
    So IMO, just having a NAND backup is not enough.
    It'd also be safest if you NEVER go online from when the NAND backup was made, until the point it is restored.

So as for your question, maybe you can use ChoiDuJour with your biskeys to create a clean SYSTEM partition, and along with an empty USER partition, to create a "clean" NAND. It's not necessarily a "safe" NAND though.

Last edited by bundat, Aug 27, 2018
  6. KylieJenner
    OP

KylieJenner Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2018
    Australia
    But if your logs were cleared and you then did a factory restore would that still trigger anything on Nintendo’s part as your “new” console would be accepted as not having any logs yet?

I just want to help my friend get their clean nand backup for eventual emunand or error avoidance. So I’m not saying it’s something they’ll go online with straight away but something cleaner than what they already have.

7. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    Factory restore does not clear logs, there's just no way to clear those without hacking.
    So having clear logs will always be suspect, if you've sent ANY logs AT ALL in the past.

Last edited by bundat, Aug 27, 2018
  8. creepy

creepy Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2018
    Poland
    Is there a list / link / discord / other , where can i read about what kind of logs SX OS or Hekate or other are creating ?
    Also was wondering about cleaning my Switch to play Mario Kart 8 online.

9. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    There is no real way to get a clean nand again, not even a restore. My best guess is to clear the logs with dreport (The SDCardfiles should do fine) and boot Hekake and clear. Then factory reset your switch and format your SDCard. Oh and never boot Horizon while you doing the Hekake parts, but instead boot Recovery Mode (it's power + Vol - without a jig!), and from there do th factory reset. Then you can boot your Switch normally because in theory it should look like you had a problem with your Switch and manage to get it to work by doing a factory reset.

DarknessMonk, Arkturos and creepy like this.