Hacking Question Is there any way to be able to play Splatoon 2 without updating my Switch?

falloffcliffman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I haven't played my Switch in a while and I recently got the itch to play my Switch with some Splatoon 2. I tried to update the game but it said I needed to do a system update to do so. Because of this I can't update the game or even play online. My current firmware is 3.0.1 which I know is not ideal, but is still much better than updating to the current firmware version.
What I want to ask is do I have to live without online features while I hold onto hope that eventually my firmware will be hackable or is there any other way to play online?

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You have 2 options
1. Wait. For who knows how long. There is a chance that homebrew like ctr-httpwn on 3DS will exist for Switch, allowing to connect to Nintendo's services without an update. There is also a chance (something people were doing before ctr-httpwn) that you could just update sysmodules responsible for version control (CVer and NVer on 3DS) allowing to access eShop and such without FULLY updating. But that wait can take a while, first option requires such an exploit to be found, and it was eventually patched on 3DS so it's likely Nintendo didn't make this mistake again. Second one is even harder as it will require ability to install packages to Switch, and who knows if it's even possible to update them like that.
2. Update and just play your game.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be a little more helpful than "no" (looking at you four above me :glare:, you're good PewnyPL)

There isn't a way to play online from 3.0.1. However, it is known that userland, kernel, and trustzone have been pwned up to 3.0.2. So if you can wait for a CFW/emuNAND solution (which will be worked on soon), then you can boot to a higher emulated NAND and play online then. Otherwise you'll need to update to the latest firm in order to play online.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

DairyOrange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason why you wouldn't be able to play online without updating is because the new updates contain new weapons and game patches, etc.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The reason why you wouldn't be able to play online without updating is because the new updates contain new weapons and game patches, etc.
No. The reason is that Nintendo checks for firmware version and if it is not the latest, it will force you to update if you want to go online because of vulnerabilities. Maybe also to force you to burn fuze to render your Switch undowngradeable.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

DairyOrange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. The reason is that Nintendo checks for firmware version and if it is not the latest, it will force you to update if you want to go online because of vulnerabilities. Maybe also to force you to burn fuze to render your Switch undowngradeable.
I'm talking about Splatoon 2 itself, not the firmware version of the switch. Even on the latest firmware, with new every update to Splatoon you are required to install the update, otherwise you cannot play online. But, that is still true.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm talking about Splatoon 2 itself, not the firmware version of the switch. Even on the latest firmware, with new every update to Splatoon you are required to install the update, otherwise you cannot play online. But, that is still true.
Yes, but the point here is, you not only can't download updates for Splatoon without being on latest firmware, even if you had all updates it just wouldn't let you play online.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: Sceptre Curved 40" Class 16:9 QHD 2560x1440 Gaming Display DisplayPort up to 165Hz AMD FreeSync...