Homebrew Is there any way at all how to transfer all data files from one homebrewed 2DS/3DS to another?

SithLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just homebrewed a New Nintendo 2DS this earlier afternoon and now I'm trying to figure out how do I copy all of my games from my OG 2DS system(that is also homebrewed but under a different system firmware) to the MicroSD card for my New 2DS without messing with any of the folders(especially not the 32 character-long folder) in my MicroSD Card.

Last edited by SithLord,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just homebrewed a New Nintendo 2DS this earlier afternoon and now I'm trying to figure out how do I copy all of my games from my OG 2DS system(that is also homebrewed but under a different system firmware) to the MicroSD card for my New 2DS without messing with any of the folders(especially not the 32 character-long folder) in my MicroSD Card?
Well. A system transfer does come to mind. Or dump each game and install on the new system with FBI.

SithLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well. A system transfer does come to mind. Or dump each game and install on the new system with FBI.
The problem with a system transfer is that it requires me to update my OG 2DS(which is already homebrewed) and IDK if giving the system another official Nintendo update will be safe or if it will mess with the CFW.

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with a system transfer is that it requires me to update my OG 2DS(which is already homebrewed) and IDK if giving the system another official Nintendo update will be safe or if it will mess with the CFW.

How is your system hacked? With b9s and the latest version of Luma I think you should be able to update to the latest firmware with no problem.

If you you don’t want to do that than dump your games with GodMode9 and use FBI to install them on your new system. You can use Checkpoint to backup and restore and saves.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This question has been answered many, many times over. As long as your CFW is up to date, it cannot be removed by a system update.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

SithLord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is your system hacked? With b9s and the latest version of Luma I think you should be able to update to the latest firmware with no problem.

If you you don’t want to do that than dump your games with GodMode9 and use FBI to install them on your new system. You can use Checkpoint to backup and restore and saves.
I just updated my OG 2DS and see no issues occurred with the CFW as everyone said here. I'm still thinking of going the GM9 route just to be extra safe. Do I just go to my SD card directory for all of my digital games? How do I exactly dump everything?

Last edited by SithLord,

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just updated my OG 2DS and see no issues occurred with the CFW as everyone said here. I'm still thinking of going the GM9 route just to be extra safe. Do I just go to my SD card directory for all of my digital games? How do I exactly dump everything?
Use this guide.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use this guide.
Following video guides is a bad idea generally.

To sum up ten minutes in one sentence: this video describes doing a standard System Transfer from one console to another, with Faketik being used on the target system to restore software installed from .cia packages, and a NAND backup being restored on the source system.

Except that means the same NNID will be logged in on both the source system and the target system, and that's seriously asking for trouble from Nintendo.

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country

Dumping titles:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/dumping-titles-and-game-cartridges.html

Installing them: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/

Checkpoint to backup saves:
https://github.com/FlagBrew/Checkpoint

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Really? I've had no problems with his recent 3DS CFW installation and system transfer videos.
This particular video is, like @Kwyjor stated, bad – which I can say after watching less than 30 seconds on the end part. Granted, the tedious task of unwrapping multiple games after running Faketik instead of using Cthulhu to unwrap all software is a minor annoyance. Restoring the NAND without even mentioning¹ possible problems when using the source system online if a big "no-no".

I've seen one video by this guy where he repeatedly said: "Then select bla. Then select blubb, Then select ble. Then select…" That is – in my opinion – not how to make a good tutorial.

Videos can get outdated in no time: The last 3DS update fixed the browser holes and all the mass of "Super Easy 3DS hacking (2021, 11.14 firmware) " videos became useless in a second, requiring the video authors to create new videos for Seedminer or reactivate and update older videos. Until YouTube search outputs the new videos there is a lot of potential for confusion if older videos aren't removed. The Guide was back to Seedminer almost instantly (since all that had to be done was adjust some links).

There is a another problem with the video guides; and it is my personal main reason to advise against video guides in general: Regular helpers in the 3DS section of GBAtemp are used to 3ds.hacks.guide. We know The Guide. We know it is good, correct and tested. If something goes wrong or somebody doesn't know what to do at some point, it is easier for us to help.
Whenever somebody comes with: "I followed this video [embedded YouTube window] and now…" I feel like screaming: "Noooo. I don't want to watch half an hour of video just to see if the video is acceptable and what could possibly be problematic, incomplete or have potential for misunderstandings".
======================

To give another answer the initial question of this thread… We have a good and short tutorial for this topic:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...-without-losing-non-legitimate-titles.531950/
There is no NAND restore in there, and this is good. The official transfer also includes the Activity Log, the save data of preinstalled titles, step history…

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, , Reason: Typo
Reactions: Kwyjor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands