Is there any video player homebrew being developed for the 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by duffmmann, Jun 24, 2015.

1. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I was wondering if a video player similar to something like WiiMC was being developed for the 3DS? Something that could possibly play our 3D videos as well. Now I understand you can use the 3DS' camera to play videos that you format for the 3DS, however I know they are limited to like 10 minutes at most, meaning if you wanted to put a full movie on your 3DS, you'd have to split up the film into at least 9 different videos. Surely some sort of homebrew could get past these limitations.

Best I could find was something in development called Vid3o, but the author hasn't seemed to be working on that for quite a while. As such I was curious if anyone else know of any other homebrew 3DS video player in development, and if anyone knew the status of such a video player.

2. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    There is a video player integrated into sunshell but it only supports jpgv and another format. But you can also watch many streams with the New 3DS's Internet browser.

3. Chelsea_Fantasy

Chelsea_Fantasy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2014
    Cuba
    Sunshell can play videos and 3d videos
    youtube it's a nintendo's official app that let you play youtube videos in your 3ds
    you can use the camera app to play videos but it haves a 10 minutes limit (there is also a video converter that convert videos into the camera app format)

4. Melon__Bread

Melon__Bread ~It's A Magik~

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    IIRC someone on #3dsdev is working on one

5. Lectem

Lectem Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2014
    France
    You mean this ?
    I have video playback working fine but I still have to get the audio working, and the audio will work on Old 3DS only

zfreeman, WhoAmI? and Apache Thunder like this.
  6. Retr0Capez

Retr0Capez GBATemp's Official Evil Genius

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    In my vision of the perfect world ruled by me
    The youtube app on 3DS sucks. Crashes a lot, sometimes titles and usernames don't show up in "My Subscriptions", only the thumbnail, and the touchscreen support is AWFUL.

7. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Nice! You plan on getting 3D video support in that one?

8. Retr0Capez

Retr0Capez GBATemp's Official Evil Genius

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    In my vision of the perfect world ruled by me
    Wouldn't 3DS 3D movies have to be SBS?

9. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    I assume the videos could just be encoded to h264 with left eye on left and right eye on right. The video would be 800x240 resolution which is the native resolution of the 3DS screen while in 3DS mode. You don't really need anything fancy to encode 3D videos. Just need a source video that has 3D content. Though that source video would have to have 3D as side by side or a format where the information for each frame isn't mixed together like the Red/Blue glasses type 3D where the 3D is encoded into a single frame. Those videos can't really be used. But a lot of today's 3D movies don't really use that format anymore. ;)

10. Lectem

Lectem Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2014
    France
    Yes, I'm planning to (at least try to) add stereoscopic 3d support, but I'm not sure if the 3DS will have enough horsepower for this at full resolution.
    I have to see what impact audio decoding would have on performance first.

11. Rinnegatamante

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    Are you using the integrated hardware decoder of N3DS or it works also on O3DS?

12. Lectem

Lectem Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2014
    France
    This is old 3ds, and the only hardware it uses right now is Y2R. I'm not planning to support the new3ds hardware decoder until I get the software one fully working on old 3ds.

WhoAmI? likes this.
  13. FEAR_1337

FEAR_1337 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    Brazil
    You are still working on it?