Is there any tv shows or movies that accurately reference source material?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lately I been watching two decades old tv shows based on video games. There was lots of them 20 years ago, like THREE Super mario Bros cartoons, THREE Sonic the hedgehog cartoons, Captain N the game master, Donkey Kong Country, Legend of Zelda, Double Dragon, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Darkstalkers Mega Man, Earth Worm Jim, Battletoads, and more. There was also movies based on video games, and I mean they have the same title, and not parody them in some way.

So far I think Super Mario Bros 3 cartoon is the only one that does. The show uses sound effects and even arranged music from the game. They also have all the different places from the game and even the same bad guys, all of them as well as power ups and items. (Except Hammer bro costume) The only things that it does that's not in the game is the obvious original stories, seven Koopalings being Bowser's children, their names, all character's personalities and most of all, warp pipes between "real world" and Mushroom Kingdom. Most of what you know from the game is referenced here.

Some was made by collaborating with various media companies from different parts of the world. It's a mixed bag when it comes to producing media based on these games. (And just as equally making games based on tv or movies) I really mean it, cause most of them hardly follow the source material. In all honesty, it would be pretty boring to try and replicate these games exactly as they play especially ones with hardly any story. But they exist and suppose some should be analyzed. So I'm asking anyone if any show or movie that does a good job to reference the game as much as possible.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Persona anime is pretty on point afaik

My roommate said Danganronpa is accurate as well

Maybe Japan does it better?

Last edited by x65943,
D

Deleted User

Persona anime is pretty on point afaik

My roommate said Danganronpa is accurate as well

Maybe Japan does it better?
Not necessarily. The F-Zero GP Legend anime changed up a lot when compared to the original games, going as far as to complete alter the backstory of some characters. Sonic X and Kirby: Right Back At Ya/Kirby of the Stars also changed up the source material a bit, to my knowledge.

Besides, both of those anime that you mentioned are adaptions of games with VN-esque elements, putting more of an emphasis on story than other games. I get the feeling that if they were to change everything up with the anime adaptions, more than a few people would be rather upset.

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back