Hardware Is there any special thing about the 3DS?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
RoyalCardMan said:
Since prices are lower, I was thinking about buying a Nintendo 3DS, but I had a question.

Is there any special quality of the 3DS, besides the 3D and the webbrowser?

Thank you for any responses.
The built-in software has enough diversions to keep you occupied for weeks. Streetpass, Pokedex, Find Mii, 3D pictures, and on and on.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uh, it plays 3DS games? That's kinda the big stand out feature in my opinion...
tongue.gif

It is much more powerful than its predecessor's, has far superior graphics in launch titles than anything seen on DS to this day (and launch titles never reflect the console's true graphics potential), has better controls (the slide pad is quite nice IMO), a bigger top screen, multitasking of sorts...there are a huge number of differences between the 3DS and the DS or DSi.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hardware wise the 3ds is a psp with a second screen, better AP/encryption and very lacking digital store. So nope, nothing special about it. I'm only holding on to it for paper mario. Nintendo hasn't had decent 3rd party support since the N64. Maybe if nintendo would of used CDS instead of the expensive cartridges back than, they wouldn't of lost 3rd party support.

Fire2box

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
hardware wise the 3ds is a psp with a second screen, better AP/encryption and very lacking digital store. So nope, nothing special about it. I'm only holding on to it for paper mario. Nintendo hasn't had decent 3rd party support since the N64. Maybe if nintendo would of used CDS instead of the expensive cartridges back than, they wouldn't of lost 3rd party support.

If the DS system didn't have decent 3rd party support. Then I would LOVE to know what qualify as even decent support and whats good support. Seriously, at one point everyone loved the DS asides sony fanboys.

Nintendo loved it since it's one of the best selling consoles ever, and thus made many games for it.
3rd partiess and publishers loved it due to a massive install base
consumers loved it since there were seemingly 3 games coming out on weekly basis and AAA games every 4 months it seemed.

So again? no decent 3rd party support since the N64, which was pretty much rare?

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
So far the 3DS gave me more that its worth.

The system games alone (Face Raiders, AR games, and that music game&watch games) are very fun to play and addicting even to adults like me.

The 3D system is very good and I don't understand the hate it gets.

The controls are better than the DSL.

I don't have a squeaky hinge nor a loose hinge. After I put on some screen protectors worth 2 dollars, the smudges disappeared for good.

However, I won't advise you to buy it since you're likely never going to code for weeks playing with it as I do.

GFX-wise Ridge Racer 3DS(the only 3DS game I have) looks a lot better than NSF most wanted 510 (My favorite PSP racing game).

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
chartube12 said:
SONY FANBOY/ NINTENDO HATER. Fuck, I hate guys like these, they're so "I'll just say what I can think of to make it look bad".
Hey chartube, you better look at the DS.
The DS have Activition, Sega, Rare, Square Enix, Namco and a bunch of other 3rd party developers that the PSP hasn't.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendoom said:
chartube12 said:
SONY FANBOY/ NINTENDO HATER. Fuck, I hate guys like these, they're so "I'll just say what I can think of to make it look bad".
The DS have Activition, Sega, Rare, Square Enix, Namco and a bunch of other 3rd party developers that the PSP hasn't.

I'm not a fanboy of any system you stupid ignorant piece of shit! FYI I own all 3 systems and A psp, 3ds and a dsi. Has for the other statement, who in right mind calls shovelware decent 3rd party support?

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
chartube12 said:
nintendoom said:
chartube12 said:

I'm not a fanboy of any system you stupid ignorant piece of shit! FYI I own all 3 systems and A psp, 3ds and a dsi. Has for the other statement, who in right mind calls shovelware decent 3rd party support?
ahahaha, chill bro
biggrin.gif
yaynds.gif

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
chartube12 said:
nintendoom said:
chartube12 said:

The pica200 is a far more powerful GPU than anything in the PSP, are you high? Twin ARM11s are also much more powerful than the PSPs CPU based on architecture alone. You clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about. The PSP has no real shader capabilities at all either, it's why capcom can downport MT Framework so easily.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RoyalCardMan said:
Since prices are lower, I was thinking about buying a Nintendo 3DS, but I had a question.

Is there any special quality of the 3DS, besides the 3D and the webbrowser?

Thank you for any responses.

Define special.

Aside from being able to put it in a smaller pocket than a DSi XL and aside from it costing you even with price drop, another couple of hundred bucks (after taxes eh) all so you can enjoy 3d (which likely might not mean squat to you), just so you can convince yourself it has more power (than the previous DS) to run the same things you can likely do better on other devices actually designed to do the task I can't even think of anything special enough to mention. Myself, I refuse to call the 3DS special. No I am not a DS hater, I like my DSi XL just fine.

It's not surprising the price drop happened so soon. The proof of the pudding, is in the fact it is not even a year old and already having trouble moving.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
Define special.

Aside from being able to put it in a smaller pocket than a DSi XL and aside from it costing you even with price drop, another couple of hundred bucks (after taxes eh) all so you can enjoy 3d (which likely might not mean squat to you), just so you can convince yourself it has more power (than the previous DS) to run the same things you can likely do better on other devices actually designed to do the task I can't even think of anything special enough to mention. Myself, I refuse to call the 3DS special. No I am not a DS hater, I like my DSi XL just fine.

It's not surprising the price drop happened so soon. The proof of the pudding, is in the fact it is not even a year old and already having trouble moving.
Just because the price drop, just because you refused to call the 3DS special, just because you can't seem to play the games on it, doesn't make the 3DS
not special.

It push a lot a units despite the beginning price. How much people would you think jump on it now?
It not even the 3DS itself that cause the price drop. So there is no proof of the pudding.

Not to mention the 3DS will have more support in software (games plus OS features such as Netflix) than the dsi xl.

Just keep the XL you think is so special( I think is special to,but I didn't get your hate towards the 3DS), while I enjoy present and future
3D software of my 3DS.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have my 3DS since it's launch in NA and I haven't spend a day without touching. THERE ARE GOOD GAMES FOR ME so enjoy it a lot. The 3DS got fighting-game-love since the begining and it's not over yet in that area.

There is alteast ONE GOOD GAME FOR ME that will go on sale at the end of each month up to mid-2012. Sometime more than one. I suggest you wait for the price drop (obviously) and use the extra money to buy atleast 1 game.

Pip'

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
nintendoom said:
chartube12 said:
NINTENDO FANBOY/ SONY HATER.
The 3rd party developers you said, all have released games for the PSP (aside from Rare but they are rarely good anymore) so I don't get what your point is.

PSP also has those niche devs like Falcom which are going onto the Vita as well.
Not saying 3DS doesn't but Falcom > All.

Edit: Also I'll like to add I'm not backing up what chartube12 said, he clearly doesn't have a clue. Sorta like you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zufnIPGYQx8 +1