1. RyuShinobi500

OP RyuShinobi500 Aspiring C++ Programmer

United States
    I was wondering if there was a clean and simple way of installing Linux Mint over the Chrome OS via USB I have exhausted Google looking for answers and have found many different articles on the subject but all involve varies complex ways of installation with a application named crouton I have decided to see if I could get some advice since the Chromebook in question costs $160 and the last thing I want to do is screw it up I was also wondering if the Chrome OS is a decent one I am looking for something to play the Minecraft demo on and something to program with the only issue is that I do not know if I am limited to the apps in the app store as on Linux Mint if I needed a program I would either look for the .deb file of it or run the terminal command sudo apt-get install [PROGRAM NAME] but I am unsure of this on the Chrome OS this is why I want to install Linux Mint the other issue that arises with the Chrome OS is the fact that it relies on a internet connection for most things which I can provide sometimes but not always anyway thank you for any help that you feel like sharing

2. s3phir0th115

s3phir0th115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'd suggest seeing if you can install MrChromebox's firmware on it.

That would basically turn it into a standard laptop, allowing you to boot whatever you want on it with ease.

https://mrchromebox.tech/

3. RyuShinobi500

United States
    Thank you so much for this info it will help me allot

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I have a quick inquiry to make the article mentions to Bios to run Seabios UEFI I was wondering which bios would be the smarter choice thanks

4. s3phir0th115

United States
    I suggest using the Full UEFI firmware if your device supports it. That gives you the most functionality.

This page should help determine if your device is compatible with it. https://mrchromebox.tech/#devices

5. RyuShinobi500

United States
    Okay thank you would I go to the homepage to do this as there is no instructions on the mrchromebox.teech page thanks

6. s3phir0th115

United States
    You'll likely need to remove a write protect screw or similar, but you basically run the script shown on this page in a shell you get from putting the unit in developer mode.

https://mrchromebox.tech/#fwscript

7. RyuShinobi500

United States
    Thank you for your help I have decided to return the laptop it is not the right machine for me as its hardware lacks sufficient power for my tasks I am very sorry for the trouble

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Chromebook, Samsung, replace