Gaming Is there any simple way to read save file information?

Hellsingrunner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SO I've been working on hacking my Wii so that I can extract an Animal Crossing save file. I was then planning on writing a program in C# to modify the values that affect stored patterns.
Well I've finally got the save file extracted. As I suspected however, the save files are stored in .bin, .sgmgx, .dat, and .vff. and are otherwise unreadable.

I was curious whether there was any possible way to make these files readable, or at the least, modifiable. I'm going to continue researching this but, I feel like this community knows more about this kinda thing than anyone else would. I know that an AC Toolkit was made for Animal Crossing and can be used to modify everything from how much money you have to the appearance of the character, but I'm not sure of what is going on behind the scenes.
If anyone can help I'd be very grateful!
smile.gif

conanac

Be an Angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are PC and Wii applications (called PattView) for modifying stored patterns by changing/modifying the content
of RVFOREST.DAT file (AC savegame file). Using these, you could learn more about the location and content by
conducting the experiment described below.

If you want to learn you could try the following steps (repeat them as necessary):
1. Copy your RVFOREST.DAT into let's say RVFOREST.DAT_original
2. Use one of those applications (including ACToolkit) and just change one thing at a time
3. Save the change
4. Open both files (e.g. RVFOREST.DAT and RVFOREST.DAT_original) in a hexeditor
5. Compare those files to see what actually changes (including the checksum if any)

As an example, I did these steps to learn where in the file (offset address) that the Nook shop type is stored.

Have fun in your learning journey.

Hellsingrunner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I've stared doing this but it's slow... I'm trying to get into contect with the developer of Pattview atm, so hopefully something turns up there.
If anyone else has any ideas I'd be happy to hear 'em.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hello everyone