Is there any point to owning a Dreamcast?

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Technically, there is not (due to video games just being for fun), but I would like to see if there is any real gaming-related benefit in getting one.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you go to youtube and search for "top ten DreamCast games"? I did this recently and found that most of the big hits with the Dreamcast were fighting games. So if you are real big on games like Soul Caliber and the likes. Go for it. I do know that the Emulation scene for it sucks. So I guess you're stuck with buying it at your local Play N Trade.

D

Deleted User

If I remember correctly dreamcast didn't have any copyright protections, so backups were rampant. I believe Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue were both originaly Dreamcast Exclusive.

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
Shenmue 1+2, Grandia 2, PSO, Sonic Adventure 1-2, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, Power Stone, Chu Chu Rocket, MVC2, Typing of The dead, Rayman 2 etc.
and with the fact games are easily piratable, I think owning a DC is a good decision.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dreamcast was an amazing little machine, but I tend not to buy consoles (but still portables) I can emulate well on a decent PC anymore. But that's just me.

As far as the gaming value? There's tons of good stuff for it, and it IS a fun console. It has TONS of emulators (And was probably the first console with a strong homebrew community) but it's fairly weak nowadays so don't expect miracles. There was also Bleemcast (commercial PSX emu that people have released games running in for free online), but I've never tried that.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crazy taxi 2 was the only notable game for it not rereleased on other systems.
the sonic adventure series chao gardens were a little more fun on the vmu than the gba versions but thats barely worth mentioning.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For the record:

I already have both Sonic Adventure games for the GameCube.
I have ChuChuRocket for the GBA in ROM forme.
I am not interested in fighting or racing games.

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
Ziggy Zigzagoon said:
For the record:

I already have both Sonic Adventure games for the GameCube.
I am not interested in fighting/racing games.
well then theres still Shenmue 1+2, Grandia 2, PSO, , Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, Power Stone, Chu Chu Rocket, , Typing of The dead, and Rayman 2.

mdlmemorybank

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Because you can say you have one, that's the point of owning one!

HELL YEAH
biggrin.gif
i have 6 of them and i love them all, so much fun to show off

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you all. You have given me quite the jump-start in deciding.

By the way, the reasons why I initially thought that there is no point towards the Dreamcast were that the Dreamcast lost support (I still remember going into a super-market and seeing a magazine cover that had the Dreamcast lost in sand. I do not know what the magavzine meant by "dropping support"...), thus no new games coming for the system would be worth the trouble for "just another console to take space in the house." Of course, my GameBoy Micro and Classic Controller were both semi-impulsive buys (both being that I did not see much point in getting them), but I never regretted my buys! Maybe the Dreamcast would be the same way...

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just recently got one and I'm really enjoying it. The exclusives are awesome, I really like Shenmue. The DC also has a very active homebrew community. I recommend picking one up, there extremely undervalued.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought one in 2003, it's been a great machine. Still works compared to my ps2 or my ps3, lol.

The console is best for rail shooters, shooters, fighters and RPGs.

www.gamefaqs.com

under DREAMCAST.

Wynd

Daidude

Puzzled
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say that Shenmue is the best Dreamcast game I have ever played and you should definately get it because that was the reason I bought a new dreamcast! (broke my old one).

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm seconding the recommendation for Ikaruga. If you're into aerial shooters at all, it's an amazingly simple yet frustratingly difficult game.

EDIT: In other words, it's difficult enough to be satisfyingly difficult without being "NES impossible"

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any point in owning dreamcast? Is there any point to breathing this air? Dreamcast is absolutely amazing and is easily capable of burning an entire armada of classic gems. Not to mention, it plays all the old arcade systems and ancient systems from gamings early years. That's not even including all the amazing games that are actually for Dreamcast. I literally have about 2500 different games on my DC and I paid less than 20$ for it. Maybe another 15$ for all the CDs. Somebody really asked this question!

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I like Skies of Arcadia on the DC better. The only catch is you have to have a DC memory card that you can hook up to your computer so that you can transfer the DLC over (the DLC comes with the Gamecube version, but you lose Pinta's Quest on the VMU)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over