Is there any point in staying in the homebrew scene anymore? [Not implying there isn't

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by SUPR64, Nov 11, 2015.

1. SUPR64
    OP

SUPR64 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    With that Nintendo Direct tomorrow, a Smash update is inevitable. The only way I could access the eShop is through an update at this point.

But, of course, updating to 10.3 would take away homebrew.

This brings the question to me: Should I even stay in this scene anymore? All we have is a couple of okay emulators, a region-free launcher that most of us have no real use for, and HANS, which really doesn't offer much besides custom NSMB2 levels. And I own Mario Maker.

I want this scene to thrive. But the only way it can thrive at this point is through the kernel exploit. Am I forgetting something? I don't exactly want to leave the scene, but I'm finding less and less reasons to stay. It's nothing personal, it's not the people, it's just homebrew itself. So please don't get offended or something...

Pacheko17 likes this.
  2. NuikopeaDemon

NuikopeaDemon Hello Darkness

Sep 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hastings
  3. SUPR64
    OP

SUPR64 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    [Not implying there isn't*] Why can't I edit the title???

4. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    how many forums let you edit the title of your own thread?

5. Karuta

Karuta

Nov 4, 2015
    Are you contributing something to the homebrew scene? If not, I don't think anyone will be offended if you update your console.

peteruk and trancepara like this.
  6. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    No one is getting offended. Personally I decided to buy a N3DS at a local store in which a friend of mine got a 8.1 2DS. If I'm lucky enough to get <9.2, I'll stay in homebrew. If not, I'm just gonna leave the 3rd for a solid year and hope for its homebrew to become like Vita's.

Please note: I don't want kernelhax for piracy, I just want to develop apps without hardware limits and with libs that are actually working

7. TheCruel

TheCruel Developer

Banned
    Dec 6, 2013
    United States
    You're going to miss out on some classy high-brow homebrew:

[​IMG]

8. ChaosRipple

ChaosRipple GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    Yes, there are some points in staying in the homebrew scene, the same points you and everyone else was before Hans was released.

Minnow likes this.
  9. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    If you wanna update, update. You can still use Ironhax, OoT3Dhax, and Ninjhax on 10.3. :P

10. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Do you have Ironfall (before update), The Legend Of Zelda OOT, or Cubic Ninja?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh yeah you can also install themehax and it should stay! (Unless 10.3 patched it)

11. Karuta

Karuta

Nov 4, 2015
    10.2 patched it

12. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    If you have homebrew now on 10.1/9.9/etc then all it takes to use homebrew on 10.3 is a payload update.

13. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    Unless he/she uses browserhax or themehax.

14. Brawl9977

Brawl9977 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    chicago
    what is that?

15. Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2 Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist

Aug 17, 2015
    Australia
    noun; a particular place or position.
    DrawAttack. It's like that guess a picture game that youtubers have been let's playing.

16. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    I can at least mention Codewalr.us, TI-Planet, Cemetech and Omnimaga. So yeah, editing the title is a thing.

About the topic, I don't really know actually. It's great for me to be under 9.2 because I can have everything (updates on emuNAND, I don't care, homebrew still working, even in cia format, and even if I don't update my firmware I still can install updates in cia format too...) but I can understand how annoying it is to be over 9.2 and have to cope with updates. So yeah, your choice.
    What I would advise is at least to set up a "permanent" way to get to homebrew before updating, like oothax or ninjhax on a cartridge so that at least you are kind of able to come back on your decision.

17. KFC Double Down

KFC Double Down Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    I guess it depends on how deep you're really invested in looking for that kernel exploit. Rule of thumb that if progress doesn't seem to be happening you take a look at it yourself and see what's going on, and learn how to use the tools so you can do so if you don't already know.

18. 101239

101239 GBATemp Irregular

Banned
    Oct 25, 2015
    United States
    Maybe Somewhere near you? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    That sir, is the game
    [​IMG]
    Was birthed from. It all started with a guy with a boner sleeping in a bed.