Hardware Is there any difference between the cheaper and more expensive SD card brands?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,614
  • Replies 5
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm going to hack my Wii U and need to buy a 64 GB SD card to back up the system. The image below is an extract from a catalogue of a popular PC parts store which I will buy the SD card from.

I want a card that has a good transfer rate and won't break in 13 months time.

sd card prices.png

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Kingston class 10 cards seems to have lower read/write rate than Sandisk Ultra, even if both are class 10 ! So I think that's where the difference is with other cards too.

For example basic Class 10 Kingston is about 45Mb/s at read when Sandisk Ultra is about 80Mb/s...

Edit : I always bet on Sandisk cards personally, they are reliable and have good warranty on it (Kingston isn't that bad too I think, but need to check transfer rate & warranty).

Last edited by Kleyon,

wolfmankurd

Trophies
XP
Country
Not too much, your biggest risk with SD cards are counterfeits or rejects being sold. Internally the differences are generally in wear leveling.

D

Deleted User

OP
Umm.... so what is the difference (if any) between the below?

Sandisk Ultra (SDSQUNB)
Sandisk Extreme (XVF)
Sandisk Ultra (QUA)
High endurance Sandisk SDSDQQ
Sandisk Ultra (QNC)
Sandisk (SDSDQUAN)

I wish there was a recommended option for people like me who just want something that fucking works.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish there was a recommended option for people like me who just want something that fucking works.
Technically they all just works for the most part, just as long as they are genuine and not from the bad lot. Only reason to worry about speed is when a device requires it, mainly 4K video camcorder will require speed and the Sandisk extrema should be used. Class number means nothing this day and age, so look for the write throughput. Also look for something like UHS III or something like that if a device requires or use it. While UHS I will work in devices that supports UHS III, and the same for device that doesn't support UHS III SD card, the UHS III SD card will work in the device regardless, just will not make full use of the SD card speed capability. So again, they do just works. For example you can use UHS III or higher speed SD cards like 100MB write speed in a Nintendo :switch:. However the :switch: will not be able to write 100MB to the SD card, and that isn't the SD card fault, it is limited by the hardware of the :switch:.

EDIT:
Just realized I necrobump this old thread. Sorry about that folks.

Last edited by RandomUser,
Reactions: Alexander1970

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
There are only 6 notable manufacturers of NAND flash in the world. Samsung owns a third of that market and is the largest one.

oSUdeM2.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics...ng-nand-flash-memory-manufacturers-worldwide/

If you go by brands, which is not recommended, you buy Samsung. Because (in the consumer space) they almost always have the best, or second to best price performance ratio.

Issue is, that even Samsung, even in the (most popular) same line uses different write speed flash for different Micro SD card sizes.

So if you are going by brand, you'll always be two steps away from the actual answer. ;)

Good luck.

edit: Oh, and I was almost kicked from forums in the past for calling people stupid, because their decision processes were based around brands.

Brands, produce whats called 'product generations', knowing that there is limited innovation in any space - what every brand resorts to usually are product cycles. Where - f.e. one year you innovate - and the other year you push old crap out to the normies, to get a better margin. Hence - if you trust in brands, you have already lost.

Slight exception. If you are Samsung and you own a third of a market with only six competitors far below you in terms of market penetration, but with you already having lost market share from a few years ago, you outvalue them every year, on the most popular product, so they eat dirt, trying to catch up.

Now thats brand values you can trust in.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh