Is there any difference between the cheaper and more expensive SD card brands?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by leafeon34, Aug 1, 2017.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    I'm going to hack my Wii U and need to buy a 64 GB SD card to back up the system. The image below is an extract from a catalogue of a popular PC parts store which I will buy the SD card from.

I want a card that has a good transfer rate and won't break in 13 months time.

sd card prices.png

2. Kleyon

Kleyon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2017
    France
    Kingston class 10 cards seems to have lower read/write rate than Sandisk Ultra, even if both are class 10 ! So I think that's where the difference is with other cards too.

For example basic Class 10 Kingston is about 45Mb/s at read when Sandisk Ultra is about 80Mb/s...

Edit : I always bet on Sandisk cards personally, they are reliable and have good warranty on it (Kingston isn't that bad too I think, but need to check transfer rate & warranty).

Last edited by Kleyon, Aug 1, 2017
  3. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2013
    Not too much, your biggest risk with SD cards are counterfeits or rejects being sold. Internally the differences are generally in wear leveling.

4. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Umm.... so what is the difference (if any) between the below?

Sandisk Ultra (SDSQUNB)
    Sandisk Extreme (XVF)
    Sandisk Ultra (QUA)
    High endurance Sandisk SDSDQQ
    Sandisk Ultra (QNC)
    Sandisk (SDSDQUAN)

I wish there was a recommended option for people like me who just want something that fucking works.