Is there any danger on updating emuNAND w/RxTools to 9.5 on a N3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by MigueelDnd, Jan 11, 2016.

1. MigueelDnd
    OP

MigueelDnd GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2010
    United States
    Yes
    I just went through the whole process of downgrading from 10.3 on a N3DSXL, unlinking the NANDs and installing RxTools. I really don't want all of my "work" and mostly my luck to be a waste... which is why I'm hesitant about it. Maybe share some experiences and/or a newbie-friendly tutorial, pretty please?

2. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    Well, if you consider a EmuNAND brick a danger, then yes. The New 3DS only goes up to 9.5 in EmuNAND. You can update to 9.5 using sysUpdater, then spoof your FW and that way have access to all online features.

There are some hacky ways to get a "pseudo"-10.3 EmuNAND but it's not recommended. Wait till it's properly supported.

3. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    That's simply upgradint CVer, it does almost nothing besides changing the firmware version string. I usually do it to get rid of the update nag on emunand

4. Shadowfied

Dec 6, 2014
    Not just talking about the CVer, I saw a guide about installing pretty much all CIAs for the update.

5. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    tivu100 likes this.
  6. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    Wait, really? It doesn't make sense, you can't decrypt titles, and there are no patches for 10.3 native_firm...

7. Shadowfied

Dec 6, 2014
    I meant this. Maybe I misunderstood though, ah well.

8. amoulton

amoulton GBAtemp Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    United States
    Franklin, Massachusetts
    Isn't that how you get to 9.5?

9. Bull Moose 2016

Bull Moose 2016 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2015
    United States
    Just use emuNAND tool to make a backup before upgrading. It creates one file (emuNAND.bin) that you can save on your PC. If anything goes wrong during the update, you just load up that file with the same program and put it back. It's really convenient. Even if you lost your backup, you can always just use the program you used to create your emuNAND in the first place, which has an option to dump your sysNAND to emuNAND.

10. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    There's a giant misunderstood going on. That card won't start because it needs 9.6 firmware, but that can easily be spoofed on 9.5. In fact, no gamecards use crypto, hence that update is useless, because you don't have to bypass any crypto, but mere firmware checking.