Is there any chance of NTFS support?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Eddie_Brock, Jun 22, 2009.

Jun 22, 2009
  1. Eddie_Brock
    OP

Member Eddie_Brock GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I accidentally formatted my FAT32 partition to WBFS in WBFS Manager... [​IMG] Long story short, I can only format it back to NTFS, not FAT32 unless I want to format the entire HD, reset partitions and reload all of the ISOs to the WBFS partition.

Is there any chance that MPlayer_CE, WadManager, and the majority of the other major homebrew apps will ever support NTFS, or should I just bite the bullet and start again?

2. madtamski

Member madtamski GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Try another partitioning tool.

3. madeirabhoy

Member madeirabhoy GBAtemp Fan

doesnt geexbox see a NTFS partition?

4. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Open a command prompt, type in the following

format d: /q /fs:fat32

where d: is your drive letter

5. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    IF your trying to use the windows one (from within windows) it can only go to ntfs (cause thats all they want you to use). You could try using gparted or something to go to fat32.

6. Eddie_Brock
    OP

Canada
    I've been trying several partitioning tools. The first one I used, SwisKnife worked flawlessly the first time I had to partition, however I have been finding it buggy, and generally outdated and unreliable in its more recent uses... I also tried Partiton Magic, however it won't let me create a FAT32 partition above a specific size... I'd rather not partition my 500gb into THREE partitions; WBFS, FAT32 for a few HB apps, and NTFS for PC backup & Storage. I do have one more partitioning program to try, and I am crossing my fingers its going to do the trick better than the others.

Don't get me started on GeexBox... I've happily converted to MPlayer_CE after accidentally sitting on my wiimote while watching a movie in geexbox and it stopped the movie, and was unable to fast forward back to that spot (I think my g/f has just started to forgive me for that) [​IMG]

Edit: If GeexBox can support NTFS, and MPlayer_CE is a highly modified version of it, then why won't Mplayer support NTFS?

7. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    MPlayer isn't using Linux like GeeXbox that's why, no NTFS support in libogc :/

8. edselink

Newcomer edselink Newbie

Mexico
    The support of NTFS in any application outside windows is most likely to never happen, because as far as I know Microsoft has never released (and most likely never will) the specifications for that standard, and it changes somehow with every new OS, well at least that's what I read somewhere.

9. dexter222

Member dexter222 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Partition magic will let me create and reformat fat 32 to any size partition - try again?

10. Eddie_Brock
    OP

Canada
    Which contradicts why GeexBox, (ie Linux) can read NTFS no problem.

That being said, I still have a few things to try, and have already committed that I will do whatever I can to get that partition back to FAT32...

11. madtamski

Member madtamski GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Yeah I agree that's bullshit, Linux (open-source) can totally mount and read/write to a NTFS partition!