ROM Hack Is there any BMG Edtiors for NDS ROMs?

Vrpndt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a ROM and want to change it's text. So I found the BMG files and opened up MKDS Course Modifier (Because it can handle Japanese text and BMG files.) and edited the file, saved, then closed the program. When I opened the ROM however, it text was still the same. So I tried again and again with MKDS Course Modifier, but I won't save. So then I tried some Spanish program (forgot the name) but 1) It couldn't read Japanese text and 2) It wouldn't even save English text! So then I tried Tinke, which could IDENTIFY BMG files but not EDIT them. I tried Taxahan but it couldn't open the archive that the files were in and it can only open ROMs, not individual files. Everyfileexplorer can't open or identify BMG files. Using the BMG Editor in CTools gives me an error. I'm really out of ideas! Please Help!

Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the ones you listed won't handle it then you get to go manual. BMG in all the forms I saw of it was fairly simple really, and usually had a byte between sections so you could easily just do a search for 00 or whatever it was once you finished editing and recalculate the pointers from that.

Vrpndt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the ones you listed won't handle it then you get to go manual. BMG in all the forms I saw of it was fairly simple really, and usually had a byte between sections so you could easily just do a search for 00 or whatever it was once you finished editing and recalculate the pointers from that.
Wait, I don't get this at all. What am I supposed to do?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, I don't get this at all. What am I supposed to do?
It has been about 10 years, possibly to the day, since I last messed with BMG format but it was one of the first DS ones I did so still remember a few things and was going off that.

Anyway the BMG format is pretty simple as these things go. Perhaps not as dead simple as some formats but close. Anyway the general layout was magic stamp, file size, possibly section size, then some pointers (for NSMB I think they were either offset or relative, not straight but other games might vary), then the text which might include some tricky things like placeholders ("it costs [insert value] to stay here" sort of thing) but that is all you. If you need to edit the font then many of the tools you list will hopefully be able to help there.
However at the end of each text section in the BMG files I saw then they ended them with a 00 or something not used in the rest of the text section. This means you can tell your hex editor to do a search for all the 00 or whatever it is values. It will make a nice list you can copy and paste into a text editor. You can then put them in a spreadsheet and calculate their new values and insert them back in. No fancy tool needed.

Vrpndt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It has been about 10 years, possibly to the day, since I last messed with BMG format but it was one of the first DS ones I did so still remember a few things and was going off that.

Anyway the BMG format is pretty simple as these things go. Perhaps not as dead simple as some formats but close. Anyway the general layout was magic stamp, file size, possibly section size, then some pointers (for NSMB I think they were either offset or relative, not straight but other games might vary), then the text which might include some tricky things like placeholders ("it costs [insert value] to stay here" sort of thing) but that is all you. If you need to edit the font then many of the tools you list will hopefully be able to help there.
However at the end of each text section in the BMG files I saw then they ended them with a 00 or something not used in the rest of the text section. This means you can tell your hex editor to do a search for all the 00 or whatever it is values. It will make a nice list you can copy and paste into a text editor. You can then put them in a spreadsheet and calculate their new values and insert them back in. No fancy tool needed.
This kinda makes sense, so I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Vrpndt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It worked! Thanks a lot!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche