Is there *any* advantage to WBFS drives?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by bubbleboy, Jan 20, 2010.

Jan 20, 2010
  1. bubbleboy
    OP

Member bubbleboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It seems to me there isn't 1 advantage, but many disadvantages.

Why would anyone still want to format their drive to WBFS??

2. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
    wbfs is not space consuming compare to iso which has around 4Gb size.

3. ClockWorK

Member ClockWorK GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sparse ISO files in NTFS only take up as much space as the scrubbed data. Not the full 4.3 gig.

So, size comparison is moot. All 3 formats (WBFS, .WBFS on FAT32, .ISO on NTFS) are capable of only consuming the scrubbed size on disk.

Oh, and you can't use the Wii to dump to NTFS.

And FAT32 gets slower as the partition size increases. I tried a 640 gig FAT32 drive, but I didn't like it.

4. razorback78

Philippines
    that's the thing. you still have to use wiiscrubber to remove unecessary files to the iso which is another procedure. unlike just inserting the disc on your wii then let the loader do its thing to backup the game to your HDD.

btw: does neogamma or uLoader support .iso files loading?

5. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
  6. razorback78

Philippines
  7. oggzee

Member oggzee GBAtemp Addict

Slovenia
    You do know that you can install games in .wbfs format to a FAT partition from inside the loader? Both cfg and gx support this and it is planned for other loaders as well. The way you say things, give the impression that you know only half of the story right... you do know that there exists also the game.wbfs file format right? Which takes the same space as on a WBFS partition.

uLoader only supports .ciso format and fat32.
    cfg and gx support .iso and .wbfs format on fat32 and ntfs.

edit: but to answer the original question, advantage to use WBFS partition is support by bigger number of loaders and ability to use cios249. FAT/NTFS only work with cfg, gx and uloader and only with cios222/223.

8. bubbleboy
    OP

Member bubbleboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for your responses.. I use FAT32 and can't imagine it being any more convenient! Games are scrubbed automatically, I can use the same drive/partition to store artwork, software, games, music, movies and don't need a special program on the PC to run it. razorback78: I put the disc in my Wii and rip (and scrub) automatically onto a FAT32 HDD.

For FAT32 (thx tjcool for this link):

PRO

* Can be used for other files
    * Ripping to FAT32 is possible
    * Widely supported by many OS

CON

* Only files up to 4GB are supported, so bigger games must be split up (note that games can be scrubbed, so most of them won't be over 4GB)
    * Only supported by 2 Loaders and few WBFS managers

Seems like the CONs are not really CONs at all.. the first doesn't matter at all, 2 files instead of 1? And they are in their own directory anyway, which makes the first CON pretty much a moot issue.

And the second CON is just the Loaders are lacking a few lines of code, a very simple fix.

I'm now even more convinced that WFBS is completely useless and just a huge annoyance, a relic which has been superceded by FAT32 support in Configurable USB Loader.

WBFS:

* You can't use the space for other stuff
    * Impossible to resize/defragment WBFS partitions
    * No recovery tools
    * Not recognized by any OS

Why would it be slower with FAT32 vs WBFS ? That doesn't make any sense.

9. razorback78

Philippines
    yes i only know half of the story about backup loaders. its been a while since i use your cfg loader and even loader gx. i use neogamma and uLoader most of the time. this is the reason why i am asking about support for neogamma and uLoader for .iso files.

thanks for the info. at least i know this issues now.

10. oggzee

Member oggzee GBAtemp Addict

Slovenia
    Calculating the free space takes a notable longer time on FAT than on other filesystems, it can be a matter of a couple of seconds or more. That is the only speed difference I am aware of.

11. razorback78

Philippines
    thanks for the info. so only loader gx and configurable loader has the ability to do this?

12. ClockWorK

United States
    When I was using FAT32, it seemed like the loaders took forever (60 seconds) to load (perhaps due to having a lot of games, and also customs not in wiiTDB?). And it even felt slow on my PC. NTFS loads up quick though. That's why I went to NTFS.

13. cambric

Member cambric GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    Maybe you did not download the titles.txt and wiitdb.zip files... if they are missing the loader has to scan all of the backups for the games name...

I personally have no probs with FAT32 and it is the solution I prefer...

14. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    so when do we get Ext2 support?
    [​IMG]

15. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    on my 500GB FAT drive, getting the free space of the drive takes ~15 seconds.

if you notice, in GX and probably in CFG loader, you can not see the free space on your HDD when using FAT. In GX we did this to save time. But when you go to install a game to a FAT partition, you have to check the free space before hand. so click on the button to install a game and count how long the program seems to freeze before something else happens (like the dvd drive starts spinning or it tells you to insert a game).

that length of time is how long it takes to get the free space on your HDD.

16. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The game speed doesn't change. The IOS does only know in which sectors the game lies, no matter which FS is used, you could even dump a game raw onto a drive without FS and the speed would be the same.

17. ClockWorK

United States
    To clarify, some operations on FAT32 (such as getting the free space) get slower as the partition size increases.

18. forbore

Member forbore GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Just a question(I havent followed the scene in weeks):

Whats the difference between WDF and WBFS files?

19. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

FAT32 has a special field at the start of the partition that holds the amount of free space. The problem is libfat completely ignores it and calculates the free space manually.

20. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    FAT32 is garbage. boooooo windows.. boooooooo microsoft. wbfs all the way. i have a 2 terrabyte hdd and its 10% fat32 and 90% wbfs... its just easier jeez. and i can use any friggin loader i want. both GX and cfg Suck big time gui wise. wiiflow is where its at boys.