Is there an official list of curse words

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just wondering because apparently there is a word I say that is considered a swear by some, and I'm trying to figure out if there's an official list to prove if it is or not.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
DigitalDeviant said:
I don't know of any, I think what is considered offensive can vary by culture.
There sould be at least a list for curse words in a typical English speaking country.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
This actually led to broadcast decency laws in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

Edit: I can't say "Tits"? Monkat is turning in his grave!
cry.gif

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Varying cultures.

Bitch, Fag, and Bastard in particular have very real meanings.

QUOTE said:
This actually led to broadcast decency laws in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words
Aaaah, George Carlin. You shall forever be remembered for this.

It was actually expanded into 200 words.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well in that case, "dick" is okay to say. Well, maybe not okay, but not a swear/curse. That's really the only word I needed to know.

Thanks
smile.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
I'm guessing this is related to the term "bastard".

It's mostly a matter of how it's used.
All about the context.
Well actually the word was "dick". I only say Bastard when referring to the sword.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is no "official" list. Obviously there are the main words that are universal I think like f*ck and sh*t. But I don't think there is an actual list. It basically just up to whoever is interpreting it if it's a swear to them or not.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
For reference, here's a swear that won't be on any lists, so keep this one in mind.

"Your mother is a *BEEEEEEEEP*ing *BEEEEEEEEP* lorem ipsum *BEEEEEEEEP* admitum venium *BEEEEEEEEP* trrraguna *BEEEEEEEEP* hippopotamus *BEEEEEEEEP* republican *BEEEEEEEEP*ing Daniel Radcliffe *BEEEEEEEEP* with a bucket of *BEEEEEEEEP* in a castle far away where no one can hear you *BEEEEEEEEP* soup *BEEEEEEEEP* with a bucket of *BEEEEEEEEP* Mickey Mouse *BEEEEEEEEP* with a stick of dynamite *BEEEEEEEEP* magical *BEEEEEEEEP* alakazam!"

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
An item you might be looking for is called a profanisaurus. http://www.milkinfirst.com/dictionary/profanisaurus.htm . Sometimes a regular dictionary will have "INF" in there to indicate such a thing but a straight up list might be harder to find.

As others have said it varies where you go and I would not chance calling a policeman various things.
Profanisaurus sounds like a very pissy dinosaur.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
chao1212 said:
FAST6191 said:
An item you might be looking for is called a profanisaurus. http://www.milkinfirst.com/dictionary/profanisaurus.htm . Sometimes a regular dictionary will have "INF" in there to indicate such a thing but a straight up list might be harder to find.

As others have said it varies where you go and I would not chance calling a policeman various things.
Profanisaurus sounds like a very pissy dinosaur.

We have a profanisaurus in our house. I got it for my dad a few Father's Day's ago. It's hilarious.

Incidentally it's not just TV that takes a dim view of people saying c*nt here in England. Apparantly calling a customer one to their face means you have an 'attitude problem'. Bloody political correctness gone mad.

Maid-chan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
Sora de Eclaune said:
For reference, here's a swear that won't be on any lists, so keep this one in mind.

"Your mother is a *BEEEEEEEEP*ing *BEEEEEEEEP* lorem ipsum *BEEEEEEEEP* admitum venium *BEEEEEEEEP* trrraguna *BEEEEEEEEP* hippopotamus *BEEEEEEEEP* republican *BEEEEEEEEP*ing Daniel Radcliffe *BEEEEEEEEP* with a bucket of *BEEEEEEEEP* in a castle far away where no one can hear you *BEEEEEEEEP* soup *BEEEEEEEEP* with a bucket of *BEEEEEEEEP* Mickey Mouse *BEEEEEEEEP* with a stick of dynamite *BEEEEEEEEP* magical *BEEEEEEEEP* alakazam!"

I like these
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)