airpirate545

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was looking into linux but I dont know which one I should get. I just want a linux that can play music, surf the net, is skinnable, stylish and can be dual booted. Also has to have a some support enough that I can google problems. I know virtually nothing about linux but I have used my friends Ubuntu and I liked it. I dont really want something program heavy but if it is heavy but thats okay if it is. Any suggestions?

airpirate545

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Installed Linux Mint with mint4win and the OS is impressive and all I just can't get wireless working. Apparently the problem is common with crappy Dell Insiron B130s like mine. Googled for instructions and the solution is a long list of stuff that idk how to do. This is srsly discouraging. Is Linux even worth setting up for a nub like me

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
piratesmack said:
No, Stallman, if Linus Torvalds calls it "Linux" then it's Linux.

Name your own software
IT'S GNU/Linux!
smileipb2.png

MrMagicHat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
airpirate545 said:
Installed Linux Mint with mint4win and the OS is impressive and all I just can't get wireless working. Apparently the problem is common with crappy Dell Insiron B130s like mine. Googled for instructions and the solution is a long list of stuff that idk how to do. This is srsly discouraging. Is Linux even worth setting up for a nub like me
Linux isn't generally meant for people who don't want to sit down and trouble-shoot their problems, but that being said, the Ubuntu has a very large userbase that always seems to be willing to help. the best idea would probably be to scrap the installation of Mint and throw on ubuntu. Wireless cards tend to be tricky business with linux, but I've had laptops that worked completely out of the box (the MSI wind for example) with ubuntu jaunty. no driver install needed at all.
smileipb2.png

so i guess first check the ubuntu forums and see if anyone's mentioned anything about your card.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
piratesmack said:
No, Stallman, if Linus Torvalds calls it "Linux" then it's Linux.

Name your own software
IT'S GNU/Linux!
smileipb2.png

No, that's retarded
I won't even use distros that call themselves GNU/Linux (Debian GNU/Linux
mad.gif
)

Slackware Linux, Gentoo Linux, Arch Linux... now those are real distros

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1