Is there an English Mah Jong game for the DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by seanms, Sep 27, 2006.

Sep 27, 2006
  1. seanms
    OP

Newcomer seanms Member

Canada
    Is there an English Mah Jong game for the DS?

Wish I could read Japanese [​IMG] They get all the good games first [​IMG]

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    None of them have been released outside Japan.

3. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    There are none so far for the DS. [​IMG] If you like Mahjong in general, there are alot for the PC, but if you're looking for Japanese rules Mahjong specifically there aren't any games in English for any platform other than that old "Shanghai Dynasty" series.

Also, if you already know Japanese Mahjong, it isn't hard to know the commands for these games, I've only played Hong Kong and Filipino Mahjong before but learnt the Japanese through video mahjong in arcades. XD

Also if you're really interested, learn Japanese. [​IMG] It's worth it.

4. iza

Member iza gbatemp, the new crack

United States
    I'm interested, but where do i start, i got some info on it, but doesnt help much withouth actually hearing it (for me atleast) is there a software program or CD/DVD available that you would recommend?

5. sandreezy

Newcomer sandreezy Advanced Member

United States
    whats up with english translation patches ? lol

6. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Translation patches aren't really that easy to make. People just don't pull it out of nowhere (or as someone put in these forums, from portals in your ass). While there is little to translate in Mahjong games (commands I guess), it'll involve reworking the graphics rather than simply reinserting text... that is if someone could hack the tiles for editing.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have frequently considered translating a mahjong game and have looked at all the DS has to offer (todays release aside), Orc is correct in saying they are all tile based and as far as I can tell they are all uncompressed.
    Unfortunately tile editing is no fun really and considering there are several hundred tiles (you better pray there are not several themes) to find and translate it is going to take a while.

I believe there was an English mahjong game on the GBA although I normally just ended up playing "mahjong" on ultimate brain games.

8. iza

United States
    sorry, orc, i should have been more clear. i want to learn japanese. i know how to play mahjong. i didnt know there was different variations. but i really really wanna learn japanese.

9. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
  10. seanms
    OP

Newcomer seanms Member

Canada
    I also know Chinese/Filipino Mahjong, I didn't know Japanese was different (in terms of gameplay, I figured it's all generally the same)

Seriously though, I think learning Japanese is probably the best option!

In the long-run too...imagine, if we knew Jap we could be playing this game now, or even better, FF3!!! I'm dying to play FF3, but the english patch just doesn't cut it, I want to know the story! LoL.

Alright everyone, start looking for 'Learning Japanese for Dummies' websites, post what you can find if it's REALLY good [​IMG] I just wanna start learning the symbols for now, not pronunciation [​IMG] ...unless that's not possible.

11. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Hey iza, try this site..
    JapanesePod101
    It's very down to earth, and free for all the basic stuff. If you pay you get more guides and kanji and stuff, but the podcast stuff is all I've been using.

Also a question, my mom and her similarly-aged-jewish-lady-friends used to play Mah Jong proper back in the 70's, but I never learned it. It looked like a card game, and I've never liked card games. However, in the 90's (I think) Activision came out with Shanghai, and I liked that a lot. Was that like a solitaire version of Mah Jong or something completely unrelated that just used the tiles. I tried to get into a recent Mah Jong game for the DS but couldn't get past the JPN menus to try and find a "one player" setting. Somebody clue me, and tell me if there's such a beast for GBA or DS, if you'd be so kind.

12. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    There`s one for GBA it´s Ultimate -something- Games.

13. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Ultimate Brain Games, found it. Thanks. No touch pad goodness, but this'll do. [​IMG]

14. lagman

Mexico
    You´re welcome.

15. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I don't think they ever made one. My Mum's been searching for ages for handheld Mahjong in Europe (she's a bit too panicy when it comes to technology to survive with a foreign Japanese language version, bless her [​IMG])

But by the time they squish the game onto the screen the tiles are usually so small it's hard to see what's going on anyway.

16. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  17. iza

United States
    they should make it zoomed in and use the dpad to view around the board and touch to select tiles

18. lagman

Mexico
    This is lame but... how do you play Mahjong? I`ve seen tutorials and all the business but I just don´t get it.
    There are like 4 gillions of Mahjong games for each console, it must be ultra funny.

19. seanms
    OP

Newcomer seanms Member

Canada
    Hard to explain how to play it. You need 4 people to play Mahjong, no more no less [​IMG] Then basically you pickup/discard tiles to make a 'set'...a set being all 3 of kind, 4 of a kind, straight, all of same suit...it varies depending on who you play with and how they play...I know Chinese/Filipino/Japanese all have slight variations of playing.

All of the Mahjong games that people have suggested is not really 'Mahjong'...it's Mahjong SOLITAIRE...the difference is HUGE [​IMG]

What we need is a Wi-Fi version of Mahjong...probably won't happen though, mahjong isn't that popular in North America, plus it requires 4 players to connect and stay connected for quite a bit of time. If you were playing for 25 mins and ONE player drops, it fu©ks up everything...25mins wasted....that's probably why it won't happen [​IMG]

20. lagman

Mexico
    I kinda get it...and yes the Mahjong games are not like that at all... but I remember some famicom games that was really multiplayer.

The WiFi thingy could be cool, if they make a single cart with Mahjong and Monopoly and all that games it would be a killer app.