is there an easy explanation of the differences between the loaders

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by madeirabhoy, Mar 15, 2009.

1. madeirabhoy
    OP

Member madeirabhoy GBAtemp Fan

i have wanninkos backup loader gamma

is there any reason for me to have

softmii
    gecko os
    softchip

theres lots of threads but i cant find a simple explanation of the benefits of having which or having more than one

2. Draganta

Newcomer Draganta Member

Germany
    if you don´t have any problems with the gamma loader, you should stay with it.
    for softmii and softchip i think you can start the games from the disc channel.
    gecko os is not for backups, it´s for running different region games on your wii (pal game on ntsc wii).

3. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Well...let's start...

Gamma: I would only use it if you like to Cheat with Ocarina...SoftChip is better, in my Opinion.

GeckoOS: Useless for you, works only with real games or SoftMii/MiiWii/cIOSCORP. And Gamma IS GeckoOS, only for Backups and real games.

Softchip: Basicly the same as Gamma, but no Ocarina, but also better Region-Free Features. Still in Developement, grows week by week. Also supports Wii-Multigames. Some says it's better and a little bit faster than Gamma. Get this one here.

SoftMii/MiiWii/cIOSCORP: Patches the IOS, so you can run games through the disc Channel. It's like you have a Modchip, but no 6x Speed, and a bit dangerous to install and uninstall. Also some bugs...

I would recommend to switch to SoftChip, if you don't want to cheat. Since you said you're fine with Gamma, I don't think you need SoftMii. It's only for advanced Users. If you realy want SoftMii/Disc-Channel Launching, go with MiiWii, much better, simpler and easier for Noobs.

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Some loaders:
    Waninkoko's backup launcher(outdated): The first backup launcer, only capable to run decrypted games
    Gecko OS: Launcher for original games with some video mode options, cheats(ocarina) and some other gecko related features. Good option for modchip users too, because the Wii sees backups as originals if you have a modchip.
    WiiGator's Gamma: Gecko OS mod which uses a cIOS to run backups on unmodded Wiis. Also runs decrypted discs.
    SoftChip: General purpose loader for everybody, but no special features and only 1:1 support. Allows which IOS to use, that's why everybody can use it, for every game.
    SoftMii: It's not a loader, get more infos from their page

PS: Gecko OS and Gamma have a rebooter function to run games from the disc channel, but not everything works this way(language patch or 002 fix for example)