PS1/2 Is there an alternative to HDD's for internal?

Rhino Juggler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having trouble finding a working IDE drive, and most by now are reaching their end of life and should be dying. I am unsure how feasible going IDE is, as only used stuff on eBay that often is DOA is feasible.

Also I am open to other suggestions/methods. I have both a fat PS2 (with network connector) and Slim PS2, I tried the network streaming thing but I couldn't get it to work, I think it's just modern Windows having really strict sharing permissions. But it has come to my knowledge that using a NAS may be possible, thus avoiding Windows as a problematic middleman. I have a DIR-655 router if that helps.

Thank You.

Rhino Juggler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get a SATA drive (possibly even an SSD) and buy a sata to IDE adapter. They work pretty well i've heard.

yeah that's what I'm doing. How feasible is a NAS for the slim? The PC->router->PS2 ethernet trick simply does not work reliably with Windows versions higher than XP.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes it does, networking is even easier in higher OS reiterations.

I've got a phat PS2 myself and i'm switching between ESR and OPL with a USB hard drive. It's still too slow for me, but i'm trying to get a Network adapter. I'm from the UK, they're difficult to come by. I've got a spare 120GB samsung 830 that's ready for it.

I'm finding some games aren't very compatible via OPL using a usb hard drive, and whilst it isn't great for the laser, ESR is fast and reliable.

Rhino Juggler

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it does, networking is even easier in higher OS reiterations.

I've got a phat PS2 myself and i'm switching between ESR and OPL with a USB hard drive. It's still too slow for me, but i'm trying to get a Network adapter. I'm from the UK, they're difficult to come by. I've got a spare 120GB samsung 830 that's ready for it.

I'm finding some games aren't very compatible via OPL using a usb hard drive, and whilst it isn't great for the laser, ESR is fast and reliable.

I simply could not get the network say to work, it's just too high entropy, having to determine if the issue is the ps2, Windows, or your router, too many ways to go wrong.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I simply could not get the network say to work, it's just too high entropy, having to determine if the issue is the ps2, Windows, or your router, too many ways to go wrong.

Using a hard drive for a fat PS2 is the way to go really. It's faster and more reliable since it's actually a part of the hardware. It's like comparing an internal hard drive on a PC to a USB stick, there's no contest.

theoperator288

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going to throw in my 2 cents here. I love my phat ps2 > slim due to the Internal HDD. My slim runs through network play and most games run well. I have a NAS setup and it seems to have about the same results as it just running from my PC. Honestly like you said, there is much chaos in trying to figure out what part is going wrong. It took me several tries to finally set my slim up. I currently have a Seagate 500GB HDD IDE running smoothly for 3 years now. My wife's phat has a sata 320gb laptop 2.5" drive with an IDE converter. Runs just the same as mine. I honestly don't remember where I bought the converter.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country

falconcrest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that the adapter is kind of fussy with the HDD it will accept.

It was working before(maxtor ide hdd)but i fried my hdd using a ide hdd usb to adapter.i stupidly plugged the hdd back to the ps2 to see if it was indeed dead,and it was.now it wont boot any hdd,even ones of the same kind-ide

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
It was working before(maxtor ide hdd)but i fried my hdd using a ide hdd usb to adapter.i stupidly plugged the hdd back to the ps2 to see if it was indeed dead,and it was.now it wont boot any hdd,even ones of the same kind-ide

Get a new PS2, they are dirt cheap. Fixing it will be more costly and more trouble than just replacing the thing.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use one of those IDE to Sata converters in my PS2 Network card, and a 1TB HDD.
Only when I start HDloader for the first time with my 1TB HDD, it take some time for HDloader to make a list of the games.
After that it works great!!

WhoRuJudge

No, Who Are You?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maxdiypower.com has a sata adapter for the phat ps2, I ordered one and will see how well it works
I order the SATA conversion kit and converted mine.

Works great. It took about 5 weeks IIRC to make it to me, but I have waited longer for other stuff. I ordered around late Jan, early Feb. I got it late Mar. -ish?
Installation was easy. took less than 30min.

I have a 500GB drive in now, and can still install over network.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey