Hacking Is there a WBFS to FAT transfer tool?

maduin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about switching my drive to completely FAT. Right now it's half WBFS/FAT, is there a tool to transfer my WBFS files to a FAT or NTFS drive in .wbfs format so I can backup my games before I format my Wii's drive to FAT?

mooseknuckle2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't know about keeping them in wbfs format, but you can use WBFS Manager to dump isos from your wbfs drive back to your pc for use later.

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
maduin said:
I've been thinking about switching my drive to completely FAT. Right now it's half WBFS/FAT, is there a tool to transfer my WBFS files to a FAT or NTFS drive in .wbfs format so I can backup my games before I format my Wii's drive to FAT?
yes,
wbfs_file X: extract_wbfs_file D:\wbfs

wbfs_file_1.8.zip

leavemealone347

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any benefit to using FAT over WBFS other than avoiding using a manager and having to partition?

Also, do USBLoaderGX and ConfigurableUSBLoader support FAT as well as they do WBFS with title updates, and gamecovers, etc.

What about the 4GB size limit for FAT drives? Doesn't this pose a problem?

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
leavemealone347 said:
Is there any benefit to using FAT over WBFS other than avoiding using a manager and having to partition?

Also, do USBLoaderGX and ConfigurableUSBLoader support FAT as well as they do WBFS with title updates, and gamecovers, etc.

What about the 4GB size limit for FAT drives? Doesn't this pose a problem?

FAT FAQ:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147638#fat-faq

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I think there are 2 advantages
1) a wbfs partition does not support fragmentation of games, so if u remove games, if you dont add a game of the exact same size right away you will be wasting space on your hard drive (but since oggzee says there are no advantages to fat, i wonder if this has been fixed)

2) fat32 can be managed via windows explorer, it can be defragmented, and once the games are in .wbfs format, you can transfer them to other external drives without the use of a wbfs manager

and 1 can think of 1 disadvantage
1)If you create a game specific channel (using Wiicrazy's "CRAP") that loads from fat32, you will get a configurable loader splash screen before the game loads (which only lasts about 3-4 seconds). Whereas the channels that launch games off of a wbfs partition do not have a splash screen, they just launch the game right away.

in the end, these are all minor advantages or disadvantages

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
xflak40 said:
I think there are 2 advantages
1) a wbfs partition does not support fragmentation of games, so if u remove games, if you dont add a game of the exact same size right away you will be wasting space on your hard drive (but since oggzee says there are no advantages to fat, i wonder if this has been fixed)

wbfs does support fragmentation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2