Hacking Is there a way to update 8.1 Jap N3DS SysNAND to 9.0-9.2?

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will need a copy of the new revision of Super Smash Bros 4. It has the 9.2 update in it, and it can be used on the N3DS to make it GW 3.1 compatible.

Remember, only new revision of the cart. Old copies do not have the 9.2 update. If you have that white piece of plastic (Sky3DS), it can hold the ROM for you, and update via that.

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will need a copy of the new revision of Super Smash Bros 4. It has the 9.2 update in it, and it can be used on the N3DS to make it GW 3.1 compatible.

Remember, only new revision of the cart. Old copies do not have the 9.2 update. If you have that white piece of plastic (Sky3DS), it can hold the ROM for you, and update via that.
Oh yeah that would work with a Japan console:glare: No OP there is no way at the moment for japan 8.1 users just update the emunand and it will work fine. Hopefully gateway will fix the 8.1 support. I was worried about this too and when the NEW 3ds support did come out and I got it working there was A LOT! of problems with gateway and 8.1 like it doesn't work at all just emunand does with no GW3D before the version number. Once I updated 8.1 emunand to 9.5 emunand everything started working

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There might be an updated copy of Smash Bros. in Europe and Japan as well, if anybody living there wants to waste some money trying to find one, let us know :P

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought 8.1J works with GW 3.1. Or are there issues?
No not without updating emunand first. Gateway and 8.1 New 3ds doesn't work on 8.1. So no mutirom menu, No devmenu, No GW3D before the system version no matter what size microSD you use so it's unusable. But when you format emunand in the gateway menu then boot up gateway mode you must turn on your wifi and close the new 3ds and let the update download. After about 15min-45min open the 3ds and it will ask you to update so update though the homemenu when you go back into gateway mode you will be on 9.5 emunand with everything working. Gateway knows of the problem and hopefully they can fix it

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No not without updating emunand first. Gateway and 8.1 New 3ds doesn't work on 8.1. So no mutirom menu, No devmenu, No GW3D before the system version no matter what size microSD you use

But all you need to do is install emunand and it works as usual? But people are afraid they'd update sysnand because of the lack of GW3D? I would personally never use GW without emunand anyways.

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But all you need to do is install emunand and it works as usual? But people are afraid they'd update sysnand because of the lack of GW3D? I would personally never use GW without emunand anyways.
I updated my post above. I know it sucks I unlinked my sysnand and emunand just to be sure I was in emunand. Updating in settings will update your sysnand DON'T DO IT

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to understand Gateway will not work with 8.1 emunand it will only work with 9.5 emunand. This applies to gateway 3.1 on Japan New 3ds 8.1 only

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated my post above. I know it sucks I unlinked my sysnand and emunand just to be sure I was in emunand. Updating in settings will update your sysnand DON'T DO IT

OK so essentially GW 3.1 does work with 8.1J, just not as intended (i.e. updating through settings)? I'd definitely wait until they fix this as that is pretty risky unless you are really confident in the process.

GW should put out a PSA regarding this as their site says "GATEWAY ULTRA 3.1.0 which brings support for the New 3DS, up to firmware 9.2 for regions EUR, USA and JAP!"

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so essentially GW 3.1 does work with 8.1J, just not as intended (i.e. updating through settings)? I'd definitely wait until they fix this as that is pretty risky unless you are really confident in the process.

GW should put out a PSA regarding this as their site says "GATEWAY ULTRA 3.1.0 which brings support for the New 3DS, up to firmware 9.2 for regions EUR, USA and JAP!"
If you unlink your system nand and emunand then you will know if you in emunand. Just put a theme on emunand like black,yellow,red and keep the sysnand white so when you go into gateway mode and your theme is on you know your in emunand. I will say though it is risky and gateway really should make a statement about 8.1J. I guess there's not that many people on 8.1 for them to care. I really want to do some tests on installing spider browser on sysnand since there is no browser. Then 8.1 users might be able to trigger the spider exploit on the N3ds. But till gateway fixes 8.1 will are not installing anything on sysnand

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Waiting might not be a good idea. Say if nintendo releases 9.6 or 10.0 whatever the N3ds can update the bootloader before booting the system and is the reason they said they wouldn't be supporting 9.5 emunand on N3ds because of that reason. Gateway did fix this and we are able to install 9.5 on our N3ds's but nintendo can do a lot more to the system then older 3ds's so if a new update does come out we might be waiting a while for the N3ds emunand update.

I would like to add when the new key encryption came in 7.1 I think. It took gateway 2-3 months to get emunand working again it was 2.3b with emunand 8.1. So we might in for a wait between updates

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are you guys talking about? I have my JAP 8.1-0J Sysnand running latest updated Emunand with Gateway and multi-rom without any issue... Am I missing something in the discussion ?

Don't be freaked out by the lack of GW3D in front of the sys# and for all I know it's broken on all versions anyway.

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you guys talking about? I have my JAP 8.1-0J Sysnand running latest updated Emunand with Gateway and multi-rom without any issue... Am I missinge something in the discussion ?
We are talking about the New 3ds on 8.1 and no gateway mutirom menu, Devmenu, Classic mode, and the GW3D before the version number doesn't work no matter what sd card you use. This is a fact you can ask anyone here with a N3ds 8.1J. Cearp walked me though what to do because he has a 8.1 n3ds also

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1