Is there a way to turn off the backlight of the 3ds completely?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by legoinventeor, Jan 29, 2018.

1. legoinventeor
    OP

legoinventeor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2017
    Spain
    First of all, this is probably a dumb question, but i wanted to ask it anyway because i didn't find anything about this.
    The main reason I want to do this is to try out some emulators with no backlight to feel how the older systems felt like (you can already tell I'm a millennial). Also I'm really curios to see how 3D works if it even does.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Gyaraga

Gyaraga Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2017
    United States
    No. Well, there are some homebrew programs like CTR Redshift or LCD tweaker to lower the brightness down to nearly nothing, but the LCD screens on the 3DS are not built for reflectivity. Without the backlight, there's no way to view the display. The Game Boy systems were built with reflective screens made to display well with natural light. 3DS systems are not.

3. legoinventeor
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2017
    Spain
    Thanks for the info.

4. kingawsume

kingawsume Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2018
    United States
    There used to be a DS game called Texas Hold 'em Poker that'd let you turn off the back light; it'd revert if you left the game, however.

5. legoinventeor
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2017
    Spain
    Ok, I should find out about it.

6. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH -

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Super Mario 64 DS also let you toggle the back light, but it's really useless on a DS Lite or any DS model that came later since the only thing that does is basically put the screens black (again, only on DS Lite or later models, 3DS included)

7. legoinventeor
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2017
    Spain
    How come i did not know that?

8. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH -

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Maybe you didn't research? :P

9. legoinventeor
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2017
    Spain
    Nope.
    I mean, I played the game when I was smaler and I recall actually toggling this feature but i had no Idea what backlight means so I never touched it again.

PS: By saying that that the ds lite and all the other models that came after can't do this, culdn't you just have said that only the original DS can do this?

10. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH -

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    I could've just say that, yes, sorry