Is there a way to transfer powersaves backups to CIA. MH4U save

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by redzero36, Mar 27, 2016.

1. redzero36
    OP

redzero36 Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2010
    United States
    I recently lost my monster hunter 4 u cartridge( about 800+hrs down the drain). My save got corrupted before and lost about 150~200hrs of game play so I bought a powersaver to make backups weekly. So I have my MH4U backup from powersaver but I can't figure out how to transfer it to CIA. I tried using powersaver to restore my save to another cartridge but it says I have to format my save when I load the game. I tried using JK save manager by putting my powersave .bin file into JKSM save directory and restore that but that doesn't work either. Any ideas?

Also sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I figured because this would require some sort of utility or the powersaver would count as a utility(right?) that this would fit in here.

2. imthe666st

imthe666st Felyne Hunter

Aug 16, 2015
    Germany
    ><HFB>
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate has 4 files which are saved.
    > system, user1, user2, user3
    Putting the powersaves.bin into jk_s wouldn't work because these 4 files are in this bin file.
    Additionally Powersaves encrypts these files, if I remember correctly. And for our unfortune MH4U also encrypts the savefile by itself. I guess it could be possible to extract these files but it would take some time if my assumptions are correct. Would you mind sending your powersaves file so I can try some stuff? Maybe I could inject it into my cardridge and send you the real savedata.

3. redzero36
    OP

redzero36 Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2010
    United States
    Would it be possible if you could just tell me what i would have to do or guides I would have to read? I don't feel comfortable giving my powersave bin file in case I find my cartridge. don't want to risk losing my private header. Don't want to get banned online.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You don't have much choice if you want your save back. I don't think he will be successful in injecting the save to his cart, because saves are encrypted per-cart and since you lost your original cart your chances of recovering the save are very small, but he's your best chance since he owns both the game and a powersaves.

5. redzero36
    OP

redzero36 Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2010
    United States
    Well I have my brother's cartridge of mh4u. But I guess I'll send it if I can't figure it out myself. I'd like to learn how to do this myself but if that can't be done I guess I have no choice.

Last edited by redzero36, Mar 27, 2016
  6. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The PowerSaves backup seems to contain the private header necessary for decrypting the save, so there is still hope. I don't know much about how PowerSaves works though so I don't know for sure if it's possible to recover the save.

7. redzero36
    OP

redzero36 Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2010
    United States
    hmm if I'm doing this correctly I'm getting the same header from my brothers cartridge and my save. Is that possible? both cartridges having the same header?

8. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Not likely, how are you checking the header?

9. redzero36
    OP

redzero36 Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2010
    United States