Is there a way to remove the black bars/boarder on virtual console games on gamepad?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by LonelyPhantom, Apr 8, 2017.

1. LonelyPhantom
    OP

LonelyPhantom Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    I will never understand why nintendo forces 4:3 instead of giving users the option to toggle between 4:3 and 16:9 =(.

I can already stretch the screen on my tv via remote but that wont do anything for playing on the gamepad.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.

2. Skull Kiddo

Skull Kiddo Definitely Not A Kid

Dec 17, 2014
    My bedroom
    b-but why would you want to stretch 4:3 games? D:

Aglaophotis and pelago like this.
  3. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    You better should ask the question why some games such as Donkey Kong 64 don't have the widescreen support they have on original N64 consoles (and why there is no mode with a picture of a DS Lite instead of the original DS picture for NDS games :D).
    The reason that Nintendo dosn't included a option to strech this 4:3 games to 16:9 is that it just looks awful.

Last edited by VitaType, Apr 8, 2017
    CatmanFan and CandraSoftware like this.
  4. LonelyPhantom
    OP

LonelyPhantom Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    The gameboy advance says hi :P. Seriously press L or R(or was it L and R?) and poof instant stretched gameboy/gameboy color games!

I get that 4:3 is the original aspect ratio and anything else is considered to ruin the screen but personally it distracts me having these big ass black bars on the screen when I am trying to just focus on the game itself. Can't go wrong letting customers toggle between whichever option suits them.

Dk 64 is a prime example. Atleast it had native wide screen support so why wasn't it added to the Wii u release?

5. Risingdawn

Risingdawn GBAtemp Pickle

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Love how people on the internet seem to take it as a personal insult when one wants to see a 4:3 game in 16:9, as if these games look ruined or weren't stretched on a majority of widescreen displays at the time anyway. I had a great big silver widescreen Tele from the age of about 13 and never had any black borders on my ps1 games and couldn't give a shit if they were stretched a couple of inches.

6. Resident Stevil

Resident Stevil Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2009
    United States
    Prevent screen burn when using a plasma tv or projector.

7. VitaType

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    The OP only asked for stretching on the gamepad, not on his TV or projector.

8. Resident Stevil

Resident Stevil Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2009
    United States
    I know, but he asked why would someone stretch 4:3 games, I told him why.

9. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    why stretch when you can have native 16:9 with extended draw distance?

I prefer this over any VC:

Everbody who has played the original recognizes three things immediately:

1. High-Resolution
    2. Widescreen
    3. No Pop-Ups

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Have you see how bad Paper Mario looks on the VC? It's like 30% black borders and looks like crap XD

LonelyPhantom likes this.
  11. LonelyPhantom
    OP

LonelyPhantom Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    So to clarify there are currently no homebrew apps/injection mods that can be used to change the aspect ratio of vc games?
    *sigh*
    guess I will just stick to vwii mode on the gamepad and settle for the stand I bought.

12. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Unfortunately, no, aside from unofficial emulators.

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Also notice how it messes up the HUD, which is hardly optimal.
    Plus, it requires game-specific hacks.
    But it would be awesome if that sort of thing was done to VC games. Nintendo wouldn't release something if it didn't work properly though. Plus if they started doing that for every game then VC games wouldn't be pure profit anymore. :P
    (Not sure what you mean by no popups BTW)

naddel81 likes this.
  14. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    no popups mean: the widescreen hack allows extended draw distance. where as in the original you had very strong popups and could only see trees and enemies that were close enough.

I just completed mario 64 on 1964 ultrafast emulator.
    advantages that made me really enjoy that 120 star trip:

- full 30 FPS even in areas where the original struggled to deliver 30 FPS (yes, there were some).
    - extended draw distance allowed me to see items and enemies from far away and made gameplay more enjoyable (especially collecting 100 coins in each level)
    - 8x Nintendo 64 resolution delivered razor sharp look on a 60 inch screen. no way I could have enjoyed the old native resolution even with an HDMI mod on my N64 today
    - native 16:9 support thanks to widescreen hack. no stretching and no graphical errors as many other games have.

Nintendo would be clever to get those 4 criteria to any other VC game and re-release those as "HD remaster"!
    on the nintendo Switch that would be pure profit no doubt about that. I can enjoy the games on my TV in that luxury. But on the go would be really nice to have. my iPad + wiimote/classic controller comes close to that, but a native Nintendo solution without a bugged emulator (see Wii U problems on VC) would be awesome. I guess that will never happen, so I'll stay with PJ64 and Co.

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I mean, it wouldn't be pure profit, in the sense that making those changes would actually cost them money. Whereas just rereleasing a game costs them nothing.

naddel81 likes this.
  16. VitaType

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    But the only true and right way to enjoy Mario 64 today is using upscaling and a analog stick hack with Super Mario 64 DS :P

17. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    never played the DS version. just benchmarked it on 1080p with texture scaling 4x on Desmume. runs fine on a high clocked i5 (4,5 GHz).

18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well i agree with OP, I don't think is fair to Force a specific screen resolution. It should have options for it, considering it is a emulator after all. GBA and NDS games on vc has options for screen sizes which is nice, why the other systems don't is baffling. Best i can suggest is perhaps maybe poking around the config file for VC games to see if it can be edited or just use a emulator. :)

Skull Kiddo and LonelyPhantom like this.
  19. LonelyPhantom
    OP

LonelyPhantom Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    I have heard of someone forcing 16:9 on WII U VC snes injections. Would be awesome if I could do this for n64 in particular.
    Do you have any suggestions for emulators on the WII U(Not vwii, I would really like to use the gamepad to play).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thank you. Could you confirm if GBA and NDS can fill the gamepad screen? For DS it would be really nice to have the bottom screen fill the gamepad and the top screen fill the TV. Last time I checked there were some forced borders and black bars.

As I mentioned to the_randomizer I have heard of someone managing to force 16:9 on snes wii u injections but I am not sure if the same is possible with other VC games. I will try to find their name.

20. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Well, it's not true 16:9, it's 4:3, but simply stretched. I did make a thread on VC hacking, yes, but it will require the use of a hex editor, a way to extract VC games (RPX files), the Wii U SDK to inject them back, the process can be daunting for those who haven't done it before. You're better off using Snes9x on the Wii U, or Nestopia, Genesis Plus, etc, trust me, VC games just aren't worth it IMO. But don't take it from me, just speaking from experience and the hell I've gone through to hex edit the VC games.