Is there a way to make a PS2 FlipTop Lid quiet...

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by KDH, Sep 25, 2007.

Sep 25, 2007
  1. KDH
    OP

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just got one, for an old style PS2, and after I put it on whenever the disc is spinning it sounds almost like an engine. I'm fairly sure the problem is that there's more space between the white magnetic disc and the top of the lid than there was with the original part that covers the disc drive, so I guess the question I should be asking is:

Is there a part I can order to reduce the gap, or would it be safe to glue a small circular piece of card board or a few stuck together bits of posterboard in there to do the same?

Or could I leave a few pounds of weight on it for a day or two to re-shape the plastic (since its silent when I rest my hand on top of it)?

Or did I just buy a bad FlipTop cover?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. DSGRIM

Member DSGRIM GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The noise is due to either 1 of 3 things.
    1 Being that the case is molded wrong and needs to be replaced.
    2 There is a large gap between the sides of the top where it opens and can be silenced by adding some foam padding to the sides.
    3 Its the regular noise that was present with the old cover but now can be heard better because the gaps that can be fixed by placing a foam or even cork board over top of the console while playing.
    (vague but I read this on a forum some time back and thats basically what it said.)

3. KDH
    OP

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for the help. Guess I've gotta go find a piece of corkboard or some foam.

4. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    You didn't buy a bad flip top lid mine makes alot of noise too. I fixed it by putting something heavy (about 2 Kg) on the lid. Works fine.

5. amemoryoncelost

Member amemoryoncelost GBAtemp Regular

United States
    mine used to make noise. Did your fliptop come with the little white plastic thing? If it did, see if you can switch it out with the one that came on your PS2. I was having issues and switched them out. Mine sounds like it did before I put in the flip top/.