Is there a way to legally make ROMs from Cartridges?

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some old nes games that I’d like to play on my computer. Is there a device that lets you dump the games onto the pc?

Same with snes games now that I think about it.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But of course. Where exactly did you think ROMs came from in the first place..?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_backup_device

The Retrode is just a few years old at this point, but it's probably not much easier to get your hands on it than any other similar device made back in the 90's. Google suggests it's possible to hack a Retron to dump cartridges, but I've never even touched a Retron myself.

Anyway, you really ought to just save yourself the trouble and download the ROMs from elsewhere; you'll have exactly the same experience in the end, and honestly, no one is watching.

Reactions: orangy57

KITRN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know what is legal and what is not in the US. But if you want to dump roms yourself there is a dumper you can build, since I cannot post hyperlinks. Just google "sanni cartreader"

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies! I looked at the retrode but I don’t think there’s nes support. In terms of nintendo does it only support snes cartridges?

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Retrode user develops NES plug-in
This just in: Regular contributor Wannado, over at the Retrode forums, just announced that he has been able to read NES cartridges through his self-built plug-in. We’re looking into ways for you to get your own NES plug-ins too, and to factor his firmware modifications into the next update.

BUT then again, this was posted years ago :D (2014)

Last edited by DjoeN,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even Nintendo downloads ROMs.

If you have the game, you are not sharing it as part of the download and are not paying directly for said download what does it matter?

But otherwise yeah you need a dumper. Don't know what we are suggesting for the NES these days as it is a bit of pain with all the mappers and whatnot but the process of making ROM images from carts and whatever else is called dumping. Some might also use the term ripping but that risks confusion with the process of stripping out unnecessary code to make it smaller, and ROM ripper is not really a term people use (CD/DVD/whatever ripper all day along but ROM ripper not so much outside of a hack to make it smaller).

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I should emphasize that the Retron and the Retrode are two completely different things.

(The Retron is really just an emulator box with cartridge slots, so you would expect it to be able to dump things – just not straight out of the box.)

Reactions: RedRose30

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should emphasize that the Retron and the Retrode are two completely different things.

(The Retron is really just an emulator box with cartridge slots, so you would expect it to be able to dump things – just not straight out of the box.)
While you say you’d expect it to, does it actually allow you to dump the games to a pc? I’d prefer a device I could put a game in and connect it using a usb. Does anyone here know the best device with that function that doesn’t require a lot of work?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While you say you’d expect it to, does it actually allow you to dump the games to a pc?
A Google search for "dump cartridges with a retron" (no quotes) should tell you what you need to know.
I’d prefer a device I could put a game in and connect it using a usb.
A Google search for "nes usb dumper" (no quotes) is also informative.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While you say you’d expect it to, does it actually allow you to dump the games to a pc? I’d prefer a device I could put a game in and connect it using a usb. Does anyone here know the best device with that function that doesn’t require a lot of work?
I get dumping and restoring saves (from those NES games that had them anyway) but why are you so keen on dumping ROM images?

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cheapest way to do it is to dump them off a Retron 5.
I modded one of mine a few years back and backed a few of my cartridges for fun.
you get a multi system dumper if you know what you are doing.

KITRN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Cartreader I posted is able to directly dump to a SD card. If you do not know how to build it yourself I know a german forum message board where the creator and other people who rebuilt it are online. If you want to I can ask for you if some of them would sell one that is allready completely built.

RedRose30

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Cartreader I posted is able to directly dump to a SD card. If you do not know how to build it yourself I know a german forum message board where the creator and other people who rebuilt it are online. If you want to I can ask for you if some of them would sell one that is allready completely built.
Is it as simple as dumping and that's it? I was looking into some devices and it says hat you need to write in information yourself after the rom is dumped. If this is as simple as dumping into an sd card and that's it that sounds like a good deal.

And thanks for the replies everyone! They're helpful :)

Last edited by RedRose30,

KITRN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I never used and I don't own one myself. I just know about the existence of it. The device has a wiki here. Just see for yourself if it is simple enough :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn