Is there a way to decrypt roms with a *New* 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by TheXseption, Apr 26, 2015.

1. TheXseption
    OP

TheXseption Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2015
    United States
    I have an EU N3DS on version 9.0.0, a gateway card, and LoZ: OoT3D so I can dump and play a rom, but I don't know how to decrypt it in order to randomize it. I was hoping to play a randomized game of Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire, but I can't find a way to decrypt my roms with the N3DS.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    For the moment the only way is by using Decrypt9 with a copy of Cubic Ninja with NINJHAX installed on it.
    There have been reports that NINJHAX works on GW with a ROM, haven't heard of anyone who have tried it on n3DS though. It's worth a try anyway. Probably has a better chance of working if you use a separate SD card (one that has no emuNAND on it) and boot into GW mode on your 9.0.0 sysNAND, run the Cubic Ninja ROM from there and install NINJHAX ( http://smealum.net/ninjhax/ ), if the homebrew launcher loads then Decrypt9 should work (but it's possible GW mode might break it since it has some exploit code built in that may not work in GW mode)

3. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    It won't. Ninjhax was broken after GW 2.7 (they switched to a NATIVE_FIRM newer than 9.2).

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Ahh, then I guess the only way for the moment is by buying/borrowing Cubic Ninja (or borrowing an o3DS to do the dumping on...)

5. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    After reading this, I turned on my N3DS and I ran Ninjhax from a ROM of Cubic Ninja, using GW 3.1.1.

It should work fine as long as your EmuNAND is 9.2 or less.

6. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Weird. I was never able to get it working on my old 3DS with a 9.2 emuNAND on GW 3.x. I guess it's different for the new 3DS.

7. TheXseption
    OP

TheXseption Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2015
    United States

I was able to get Ninjhax running through a rom, but how do I run decrypt 9 from gateway mode?

8. [^Blark^]

[^Blark^] GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2012
    United States
    I have used decrypt9 with a rom of cubic ninja with ninjhax installed with my SKY3DS card on my N3DS majoras mask editition 9.0. Idk if gateway works differently to block this on it. But just thought I'd mention I have done it with sky 3ds but heard sky is a 1:1 of a 3ds cart and gateway is diff With means of running roms.

9. [^Blark^]

[^Blark^] GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2012
    United States
    Decrypt9 runs through ninjhax put the Decrypt9.3dsx in a folder that ninjhax created for homebrew and launch it through the homebrew launcher

10. TheXseption
    OP

TheXseption Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2015
    United States

I've been trying to follow this: https://github.com/archshift/Decrypt9, and I don't see a Decrypt9.3dsx there. Do you have a link or something that can point me in the right direction?

11. Jiro2

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    Mine is actually 9.0. So I don't know that 9.2 works for sure.

12. TheGrayShow1467

TheGrayShow1467 屈折

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    you have to compile it. I don't know how, so I can't help you there...

13. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    Decrypt9 will not work from GW on N3DS, as it requires hax which are patched in their FIRM version. You can still do Ninjhax if your emuNAND firmware is 9.2 or lower (or you downgrade the relevant modules), but you can't do the memchunkhax and firmlaunch-hax required to launch ARM9 stuff.

14. Jiro2

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    Okay, so this requires additional hacks beyond those which are in ninjhax all by itself? And that's why it won't work? Is there anything else that ninjhax with a ROM and Gateway won't run?

15. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    Yup, exactly. Gateway versions newer than 2.6 (i think? i'm not actually a gw owner) won't be able to use any homebrew that uses bootstrap, libkhax, or their derivatives.

prototech likes this.
  16. TheXseption
    OP

TheXseption Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2015
    United States
    Yeah I was pointed toweards a decrypt9 boot.3dsx file and instructions to run it though ninjhax on another site, but after a few tries I found out it only works on sysnand with a retail copy of cubic ninja.

17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    no it *can* work in emunand, but only on the o3DS, and only with a older version of the gateway launcher 2.6/2.7 with sys/emunand on 9.2 or lower

for n3DS owners you can only use decrypt9 with a cubic ninja retail cart or sky3ds regardless of what launcher you use or what FW sys/emunand is on

WhoAmI? likes this.
  18. Jiro2

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
  19. Arkansaw

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    another reason why n3ds is an inferior option for those who are only interested in you-know-what