ROM Hack Is There a Way to Change Homebrew Versions? HANS/Braindump not working

Taitanium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got the homebrew launcher v2. And I wanted to know if there was a way to downgrade to the previous version? For me personally I don't see the appeal. HANS is apparently no longer supported and braindump isn't working for me on the new version. I realize that these two programs are obsolete due to newer methods being better, but not for me. If there isn't a way to downgrade versions, can I get help with the whole HANS/Brainump situation? Everything was going fine for me before the update. I just want to play randomized Pokemon Sun, so any help would be well appreciated.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you still use those other methods? Not wanting to switch over to newer better methods of dumping and patching is frankly just being stubborn and lazy. You'd be better off just switching over instead of asking someone to fix your outdated software.

Reactions: Taitanium

Taitanium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Custom Firmware and everything. But I haven't found any methods on taking my existing romfs files and using them for other patching methods.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Custom Firmware and everything. But I haven't found any methods on taking my existing romfs files and using them for other patching methods.
There are other methods...
* Extracting a game to .cia format can be done through GodMode9 (or Decrypt9 (I can provide instructions if you want)), details found on this page (either sections Dumping a Game Cartridge or Dumping a Title).
* There are plenty of tools you can use to extract a .cia's contents, for example, I use Asia81's HackingToolkit3DS/PackHack.
* Using your modified romfs files through Luma's layeredfs feature, details found here (search for The Layeredfs feature). Say, for example, you have a folder structure of a/b/c. Your folder structure for this should be: SD:/luma/titles/titleid/romfs/a/b/c.

...you just didn't look hard enough.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I believe if the romfs file is named correctly and in the right directory and you enable the game patching option in Luma it should just work.
It took me just 30 seconds of googling to find instructions on how to use HANS .romfs files with Luma.
  • Navigate to your HANS folder on the root of your SD card
  • Find your *.romfs file. Take note of it's name, as it is likely the TitleID of the game you're hacking.
  • Make a new folder under SD:/luma/titles/ and name it with the TitleID of the game you're hacking.
  • Copy and paste the *.romfs file from the HANS directory to the newly created folder under SD:/luma/titles/TITLEID
  • Rename the *.romfs file to just romfs (no file extension).
  • Enable game patching in luma's settings and you are good to go!
As for dumping ROMs, you can do it with GodMode9 (which you probably already have) or Decrypt9, then you can use some commands on PC to extract the romfs from it.
The commands you need are in this post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-cwav-dumper.361437/page-9#post-7422599

In the future I recommend using Luma's LayeredFS function, it's easier as you only need to place the edited files in the right directory on the SD, no need to build a romfs file, and it automatically loads everything else from the ROM.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Taitanium

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are other methods...
* Extracting a game to .cia format can be done through GodMode9 (or Decrypt9 (I can provide instructions if you want)), details found on this page (either sections Dumping a Game Cartridge or Dumping a Title).
* There are plenty of tools you can use to extract a .cia's contents, for example, I use Asia81's HackingToolkit3DS/PackHack.
* Using your modified romfs files through Luma's layeredfs feature, details found here (search for The Layeredfs feature). Say, for example, you have a folder structure of a/b/c. Your folder structure for this should be: SD:/luma/titles/titleid/romfs/a/b/c.

...you just didn't look hard enough.
Okay, I already tried this and please excuse myself for being a noob, but what do i name the already existing romfs file. I did the whole luma/titles/titleid thing. But I never
I believe if the romfs file is named correctly and in the right directory and you enable the game patching option in Luma it should just work.
It took me just 30 seconds of googling to find instructions on how to use HANS .romfs files with Luma.

As for dumping ROMs, you can do it with GodMode9 (which you probably already have) or Decrypt9, then you can use some commands on PC to extract the romfs from it.
The commands you need are in this post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-cwav-dumper.361437/page-9#post-7422599

In the future I recommend using Luma's LayeredFS function, it's easier as you only need to place the edited files in the right directory on the SD, no need to build a romfs file, and it automatically loads everything else from the ROM.

Yeah I found that tutorial but it doesn't work for me. So many others tutorials say different things and none of the methods have worked for me.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I already tried this and please excuse myself for being a noob, but what do i name the already existing romfs file. I did the whole luma/titles/titleid thing. But I never

Yeah I found that tutorial but it doesn't work for me. So many others tutorials say different things and none of the methods have worked for me.
Take a look at this and see if you can make sense of it: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/65o4zn/layeredfs_and_you_why_luma_70s_new_feature_is_one/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night